• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 26 Rudder delamination

jon

I have a 1986 Ericson 26 w/ a composite type rudder. It is delaminating. The area of Delamination is about 8-12" by 14-18" on one side of rudder only. It is a foam core rudder with a plastic skin. I cut a small area open to investigate construction. It looks as if some water collected in rudder and expand/contracted w/ weather exposure. It looks like the foam seperated from itself. It is currently dry-docked and has been for past two seasons. Please advise on repair, Glue, fiberglassing... or possible replacement? Thanks- Jon

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
When I got my 1985 32-3, the rudder skin was cracked in the middle and was splitting on the foward, top and rear edges. I repaired with a combination of epoxy injection and fiberglass taping of the edges. Rudder seems as good as new. I have since painted the rudder with white bottom paint to avoid overheating when the boat is out of the water (one possible cause of delamination). Also, due to brown weeping around the post, I had the rudder cored, but found the welds to be in good shape. To fix this, I took a Dremel tool and routed the fiberglass around the post and filled with 5200.

MarioBie

rudder delamination

There are several ways of handling your problem.
I have Ericson 26, 1988 docked in Sandusky, OH.
Few years back the water got inside my rudder which cracked during the cold winter weather.
The next fall I have removed the rudder and took it home.
I've drilled a great number of holes on both sides and placed the rudder near the heating source ( in my case it was a warm room)
and let it dry for about 1 month.
Next I filled the holes with epoxy and covered the whole rudder with laminate cloth ( WEST SYSTEM has free literature describing the whole process). After sanding and fairing I have painted the rudder with epoxy barrier and antifouling paint.
The next step I've done ( not desribed in any literature) was to fill the rudder post ( the pipe) with expandable foam ( you can purchase the can in any West Marine Store) in order to prevent the water to enter the rudder again.
It has been 3rd season and I don't have problems with the rudder.
In your case you may remove the delamination and use fiberglass cloth to replace it. I'd also cover the rudder with additional layer
all over just to be sure.
Good luck
Mario