• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Living aboard with an infant

rssailor

Hello sailing community,
I am the partner of a wonderful owner of an Ericson 25+ and we are trying to figure out a way to live with our 7 month old son and not pay rent. So, a boat seems like a great option. This way we are paying into a boat that we could (I think) would offer us a full return when we are ready to move into a home on land. I just read the thread "babies on board" and it had some insight. However here are some specific questions that I was still left with:
1) How is the playpen in the v-birth set up and made?
2) How do folks deal with crawling and toddling? (of the baby not us :) )
3)What size boat do you think would accomidate two adults and a little munchkin sailor to be?
Any leads, ideas or thoughts would be very much appreciated. Peace, Annushka

This comes from my partner. Ryan Moonglow Ericson 25+

chrism

Inactive Member
I think a 32, 34, or 35 would be the best for a small child. It allows everyone some space, and a boat with an aft cabin would be even better, because that could work as a playpen area, too. The aft cabin is also more comfortable (from my experience) while underway.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I like Chris' idea for a "tri cabin" layout with the aft cabin. Privacy is a good thing on a small boat "home." This would lead you to look at the E 32-200 and the late model E 34, and the Olson 34.
Since we are spending your money... is there a budget amount we should be limiting these speculations to?
:)

Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8

chrism

Inactive Member
Or how about one of those giant Moorings (Robertson & Caine Leopard) catamarans that I chartered in the Abacos?

'cause it's not my money :egrin:

ref_123

Member III
Babies on board!

Ryan, Annushka,

well, we have a bit of a different problem - we have a E32 that we are happy with and will adjust it for the baby. I read excessively on the subject, so here is what I plan to do (our baby was born on Jan 20, so I have some time to plan still):

1) Install soft walls cut from a soft foam in the v-berth to mask the shelfs. Some nice rugs over the foam will make it beautiful. Then I plan to put a mesh soft wall with a zipper that will make a part of the berth enclosed. Any kind of fasteners that will make it detachable will work.

2) Crawling is tough... Inside the cabin I plan to baby-proof the corners. Outside, will keep the baby on a very short leash attached to a harness. Netting will go on the lifelines to prevent toys from flying overboard.

3) Well, our e32, as I said earlier, will do... If I had more money, I'd probably go for e35.

So, here you go. Say "privet" ("hello" in Russian) to Annushka!

Where do you sail?

Stan, Tanya & Baby Nika.

windjunkee

Member III
I have a 20 month old daughter and one week old son. E 32-2, not alot of room, but then, we're not living aboard either. Nevertheless, I'm trying to get my 20 month old comfortable with the boat and take her down there all the time. As for below decks, she is fine with running around and crawling on things. I put in the bottom splash board and that keeps her from going into the cockpit unattended. She still vehemently objects to the life jacket, but I found the following suggestion works for her. I bought a child-size offshore harness for her. She likes to run around on the deck, so I hook the main halyard to the harness and cinch it up just enough so that she can run around without being impeded. But, if she falls through the lifelines, she should just swing and not reach the water. Knock wood, that hasn't been tested yet.