• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Proper technique for whisker pole

jwolfgra

Member II
Hi, I was wondering if any one could tell me what the best technique for mounting a whisker pool is. I have an adjustable pole, twist lock forespar. I want to be able to pole out the jib and fly wing and wing down wind. The time's I've tried it, I've had a difficult time getting the pole hooked up. I usually hook to the sheet, and then try and attach the pole and set the length. This doesn't work to well. A couple of specific questions I have are:

1. Would I be better off with a line control or a fixed length pole?
2. Should I use a topic lift on the pole to help control it and keep it from sliding down the sheet.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. We usually sail double handed, or with our 4 year old, so flying a spinaker is out of the question.

thanks everyone,

MarioBie

Downwind sailing

Instead of hooking up to the sheet I'd try attaching to the
clew of your jib or genoa. Watch for accidental jibes though.
You may also run a control line from the clew all the way back for easy reach and adjustment if necessary

Mario

Bob in Va

Member III
Whisker Pole Attachment

A good way to attach the outboard end of the pole is to tie a loop in the sheets at the clew of the jib, so that the pole can be clipped to that loop. Then it won't slide down the sheet, and it is relatively easy to remove, especially if you attach it with the jaw facing up. Easier to clip in, too.

Bob in Va

Member III
Topping lift on whisker pole?

You don't generally need a lift on the pole, or a downhaul, as the sail won't try to lift or drop too badly - you can control its position pretty well with tension on the sheet.

Bob in Va

Member III
Whisker pole length

After you've done it a few times, you sort of get a feel of what length you'll need for the pole. With a twist lock pole I think you about have to set it first, then hook to the clew loop, then to the mast. Practice a few times, and maybe mark your pole, and you'll be setting the length of the pole almost without thinking about it.

Bob in Va

Member III
I stand corrected

Billk's reference to Forespar's site caught my attention, and after reading their descriptions and suggestions I find several procedures I've been following for years are at odds with what they recommend. Especially interesting is their suggestion to run the 'lazy' sheet around a cleat on the bow to keep some tension on the clew of the sail, which in turn would perhaps keep the forward end of the pole from sliding aft on the 'working' sheet. They do an excellent job of explaining the hows and whys - I wish all sailing lore was that concise and clear.

Bill Sanborn

Member III
I use my spinnaker pole for a whisker pole. When setting I attach to the mast first, hookup a topping lift and a downhaul whch goes to a bridle mounted on the pole. I steer the boat on a broad reach with the genoa on the opposite side of the boat from where I want it when it is the wing-on-wing position.

Hookup the lazy sheet to the end of the pole while it is still slack. When everthing is hooked up, raise the pole so it is parallel with the water, sail downwind, then pull the genoa over to the windward side.

By using the topping lift, downhaul, and sheet you can really lock the genoa into whatever position you want. Add a preventer for the main and everthing is quite stable in fairly strong wind and just as important in light wind when some huge hoggy Bayliner trys to shake the wind out of your sails.

Read forespars brochure re sailing on a broad reach with the genoa poled out to weather. It works.

Whisker pole

I have found that to make sure the whisker pole works as it should, the length should be set while the pole is still on the boat. You apparently have a telescoping pole, as I do. As I set the pole out with either or a 155% gennie or a working jib, I have pre-measured the pole and put marks on it where the length is correct. Then, when I need to set it for a particular sail, I have just to expend it to the right set of marks. Don't put the outboard end of the pole in the clew grommet; put it into the bowline. You can tie down the lazy sheet to a bow cleat to keep the pole from dancing around, too, Jib lead needs to be moved forward when you have the pole out, so the top third of the jib does not twist off.

Interestingly, you can sail broad reaches with the pole out, just by easing the pole forward. It is pretty fast

Morgan Stinemetz

Bill Sanborn

Member III
Whisker Pole

I never connect my whisker pole to either the clew of the sail or the bowline. I prefer it to run free if I want. This makes it easier to alter course radicaly in either direction if it becomes necessary by simply letting the old sheet run and pulling the headsail to the opposite side of the boat, take care of the pole when you have time. If you are using a topping lift, make sure the sheets are always forward of it.

Even if you have crew, how fast can you handle a MOB with a pole up.

Bill Sanborn

Member III
Whisker Pole

I never connect my whisker pole to either the clew of the sail or the bowline. I prefer it to run free if I want. This makes it easier to alter course radicaly in either direction if it becomes necessary by simply letting the old sheet run and pulling the headsail to the opposite side of the boat, take care of the pole when you have time. If you are using a topping lift, make sure the sheets are always forward of it.

Even if you have crew, how fast can you handle a MOB with a pole up.

I think that most sailors use a whisker pole in ways that they think works best for them. My preference has been stated earlier, because that is what works best for me in the conditions I generally sail in. And, to tell the truth, I cannot see the efficacy of being able to bring the sail through the foretriangle with a pole out. Am I missing something?
How fast one is able to rescue a MOB in a poled-out, downwind situation is more a function of crew work than how one poles out a jib. Downwind, there is a lot more to do than on a beat, plus there is the challenge of returning to a MOB victim who is directly upwind.
I had a guy fall off my boat during a race several years back. Conditions were benign. We were on port tack, close hauled. I simply turned the boat around, by tacking, and NOT touching anything else. As I went directly back to the guy in the water, the jib was backed and the main vastly over trimmed for the point of sail I was on, a broad reach. We were slowing down as we were getting to him. Just before reaching him, I jibed the boat, presenting the stern to him. He scrambled up over the outboard motor, and we were on our way. The entire maneuver took 45 seconds. We won the race. And US Sailing presented me with the Arthur Hanson Rescue Medal for the recovery, which we did entirely under sail.
I have never tried a MOB recovery whilst sailing wing & wing, but I doubt that it would be much fun. In terms of pure speed in getting floatation to the victim a MOM-8 is light years ahead of a Lifesling. But that is a whole `nother subject.

Morgan Stinemetz

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Morgan,
Great info and reply to this post. This web site has become a great learning tool for me. I just need to ask the right questions.
I love learning the lingo.
I know that MOB is Man over board
I know that Wing & Wing is when jib sheet is out on one side and main is on the other
but I don't know what MOM-8 is. Would you please explain that term for we novices?
Thanks!
ps: congradulation on your win and your life saving honor!!!

A MOM-8 is a man overboard device. It stands for Man Overboard Module. The "eight" part probably represents the eighth design modification, but that it only a guess. The MOM differs from the Lifesling in that the entire device is unattached to the boat, and, as a result, does not require some lengthy and arduous turns by the boat to get the device to the victim. When one pulls on a T-handle on the fiberglass box in which the device is stored, a horseshoe, drogue and a plyon with an automatic light all drop into the water. Both the horseshoe ande the pylon inflate, so you have a marker and an inflatable device in the water immediately. Lifesling does not work like this at all. And, at night, you cannot rescue someone you cannot see. To the best of my knowledge, the MOM is now produced by Switlik in New Jersey. I have had a MOM for at least 15 years and have never had to use it, but before I send it back for inspection and re-pack every four years, I put it to use. Deploys in about 1.5 seconds.

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
See I told you this was a great site to learn on!!!
I want one of those for my boat. I assume I can get it at places like West Marine.
Thanks again Morgan.

No, you cannot get a MOM-8 at West Marine. West Marine owns the company which produces Lifesling, a product I refer to as Lifeslug.

I have never seen a MOM-8 at West Marine. Try a Google search for the product. Failing that, try a search for Survival Technologies.
They make good stuff.

Morgan