• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

install a spinnaker halyard on 74 35 II

hinters

Member I
Hi Greg
Yes I had one installed on an E-29 when I had a roller furler installed. I don't do "masthead" so I had a rigger do it for me. Basicly all it is is a fitting on the top of the mast...a stainless steel loop... that projects forward a few inches and you hang a block from that to run a halyard through. The block can then slide around the loop from side to side as you fly the chute. Obvioulsy this is pretty simplified but it really isn't rocket science...you just have to be sure the set up is strong enough to take the load. Just do a dock walk with your binocs and you can get a close look at some of the setups in your marina. Good luck.
Pat Waters
E-35 Lions Den

hinters

Member I
spinnaker halyard

Greg
My memory on that is a little sketchy....it was a few years
ago...but I think he just drilled and bolted through the mast horizontally and braced it at a 45 degree angle from the loop edges down to the vertical of the mast. I will see if I can find a picture that shows it and post it for you.
Cheers
Pat
E-35 II
Lions Den

Mindscape

Member III
Thanks

Pictures would be great Pat - I've got a 32-3 that did not come with the spin gear and I'd like to have the halyard up there for my cruising chute. Thanks!

Ian

Member II
I did the same thing on my E27. The bail cost about $25 and the rigger charged about $50 to screw it on. Shackle a block to that, and Bobs your uncle. I can send you pics if you need them.
Ian

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
My bail is bolted to the sides of the mast, with two bolts per side tapped into the mast. I will add a picture of it to the list to send to you when I get my computer back.... My mast is down right now so it will be easy to photograph.

You may or may not have the same mast as I. I found major problems because the sheaves had not been drilled in the right place, and the wires were digging into the side of the mast at the masthead, which was not good for either. The fix involved hiring a welder, getting a machine shop to make some new spindles,and then some careful redrilling. I also went over to all rope halyards. In view of your boat being similar vintage to mine, I recommend you check it carefully, and consult a rigger if you are in any doubt.

Gareth

Freyja E35 #241 1972

Mindscape

Member III
Rope Halyards

Over the winter I've replaced all my halyards with all rope - which I'm hoping will be a little easier on the mast head when the chute is flying to one side or the other. I'm hoping at some point to see a 32-3 with the original spin gear installed and see how Ericson handled the spin halyard originally.

I've only had the boat one season so I'm still working out the best way handle the chute. I'm not sure if not having a block on a bail is me worrying about something that just isn't a problem, or if it's something I should be concerned about.

clayton

Member III
spin halyard

Frank -
I tried to send you an email the other day, don't know if you got it?...When you replaced the halyards, did you check the number of sheaves at the masthead? Did you have any that were unused? How many halyard tail exits do you have on the sides of the mast? One '86 32-3 I looked at was rigged for both port and stbd spinnaker halyards, and the '89 we bought is rigged for both. Kenyon masts on both. Don't know if Ericson used one mast for all, or sent the boats with different sheave setups depending on the original purchaser's options? If you don't have enough sheaves, maybe check into replacing the setup at the masthead. If you're thinkning of attaching a bail, maybe it wouldn't cost too much more to replace the sheave assembly and keep the halyard internal.

Clayton

Mindscape

Member III
Spin Halyard

Clayton - got your email and thought I replied - hmmm.....wonder who got an email about sheaves and halyard wondering what the heck that was about!

My mast has the two sheaves at the top. What I've been concerned about with those sheaves is what happens when the chute moves to one side or the other on a reach. Will the halyard chafe on the sheave or the mast head? I'm going to use one of those sheaves at the top for the spin halyard for next season and see how it goes. Are these the exits that Ericson originally used for the factory supplied halyard set up? My previous boats had a block that was set out from the masthead for the spin halyard, so that's why I'm wondering about these masthaed exits.

clayton

Member III
spin halyard

The exits on the Kenyon mast are original. On my friend's E38 that I crewed on and on mine, no problems with the halyard on a reach. When you hoist the chute, if you pull it all the way up, let the halyard back out again approx 6 inches, that way it won't jamb up at the top of the mast. I've flown the chute solo using the ATN Tacker around the headstay. Using the foreguy, I can crank the tack down almost to the deck, slide the car way back on the outside track, and use it like a giant genoa. So far, I've not had a problem with the halyard jumping the sheave or hanging up. (Original, I believe, wire to rope halyard.)
Since you switched to all rope halyards, after you've flown the chute and taken it down, check the halyard for chafe. The exit from the masthead looks open enough. Only a couple more months...

Clayton

Last edited:

clayton

Member III
spin halyard

P.S.- I did get your email. My friend with the 38 uses a sock (chutescoop, etc.) when shorthanded, something I'm considering... Advice that he gave me, never fly the chute without the main up. If you're using it in really light air, you can run the sheet over the end of the boom to help take the weight off the clew. (Or if you've got lots of spendable cash, attach a snatch block at the end of the boom.) I've only been using it for 2 seasons now on my boat, so I'm still learning, but definitely a great addition to the boat's performance.
Clayton

Mindscape

Member III
Spin Halyard

Clayton - thanks for the info. I'm going to try the chute as you described. Pretty much what I figured to do. I've got a sock on the chute so I should be able to get it up and down alone. On my previous boat I was able to do this, although the boat and chute were smaller. We're closing in on the season when we can uncover them and try all this stuff.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
This is a modification of the original set up. The picture shows the original bail, plus an extra piece I had welded on, which was necessary after moving the sheaves (the spinnaker block needed to me extended further forward).

47001.jpg