• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sail Loft

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Does anyone have input, either positive or negative, on a sail loft?

It is a new main I am interested in. I am also pondering whether to get a dacron or a laminate.

I am in the Oxnard/Ventura area. So far, I have contacted Ullman & UK. Ullman is ~25% cheaper on the first quote, but UK says they will match price. UK is actually in Marina Del Rey, but the guy lives in the Ventura area & says he will support all purchases in my area (even including installing & test sailing with the new cloth).

I also want to check with North sails.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom,
Keith

:egrin: :egrin: :egrin:

bigtyme805

Member III
Hi Keith:

There is a guy in Santa Barbara that makes sails and has a terrific reputation. His prices are good also. Let me grab one of his business cards....
Here it is, William Paxson, Paxson sails. 962-0706

Ullman has good prices and makes a good sail.

Dr. Anderson
E-27
Channel Islands

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have done business with UKSails NW for over 15 years. Always good advice and good service. We are getting to the bitter end of the "fall discount season", though, so don't wait too long.
Best,
Loren in PDX

bigtyme805

Member III
Best Price

Keith:

My wife reminded me that when I was searching for sails the best prices that I was quoted came from Pineapple and Air Force Sailmakers. They were far below everybody else. North was the highest.

Dr. Anderson
Channel Islands
E-27

wurzner

Member III
Sail Lofts

I have two sails that were built by Ullman in So Cal (I'm not sure which of their two locations) after having my boat measured by the local loft in the Seattle area. Chuck Queen, our local rep, was very respectful towards the other lofts with respect to design and quality. Based on the low pressure sales approach and the fact he came to the boat and left the measurements with me in the event I went with another loft sold me on Ullman. The two sails I have are a pentex 153 genoa and a main sail. The sails are fantastic and were very competively priced related to the other 6~8 lofts that I had quote as well. That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with UK, North, Sobstad, Doyle, or any of the other reputable lofts. Call around and go with who you feel the most comfortable with as well as who is going to give you the best value (price vs service). They will all be high quality since people tend to fail to mention great service, but they sure publicize bad service.

If your old sails are really blown out, you will really love the way she sails afterwards. I chose laminate sails since they don't blow out as quickly, but fail catastrophically. Dacron strecth out, but last a LONG TIME after that where as laminate sails don't stretch, but are useless once they fail.

good luck.
shaun