• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

lexan hatch tops 74 35 II

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I had my new Lexan (R) windows cut and drilled at TAP Plastics. I believe that they have branches all over, including SoCal. My local store did a great job.
TAP used the old windows as templates, and cut out the new ones and drilled to exactly match the old holes. They also chamfered the outside edges just like the originals. I figured that I would crack a lens for sure if I tried to drill all those holes myself....

Loren in PDX

Last edited:

ref_123

Member III
How to pull them out?

Loren,

how do you pull the Lexan plane out of the frame? It looks like it sits on a silicone or something... Does forcing them out present any risk to a rubber gasket?

Thanks,
Stan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Note that I was commenting on replacing the Lexan piece that is screwed down onto the teak framing on the Ericsons prior to the factory going with alloy hatches.
I replaced the four Lexan fixed ports on our Olson -- they are frame-less and held down on a bed of sealant with screws.

If you have an alloy frame hatch, you might want to contact the hatch builder for the best way to replace the lens. I know that Lewmar has a tech bulletin on the subject, for instance.

Best,
Loren

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Plastic sales Inc. (PSI) in Costa Mesa can provide and cut your
lexan. Are your frames wood or aluminum?

Martin

eric35II

Member I
lexan

hi martin

the frames are wood. i wonder if i send them the piece if they would drill the holes...you know with all the holes that have to be drilled by an amateur what are the odds that it would crack..

safe sailing

greg

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Yes, they can drill it for price. Give them the old plexi to use for a template
if you are keeping the old frames, and give them one of the fasteners
you plan on using. You can reduce the thickness of the glass if
you are going with lexan as I believe the originals are probably
1/2 " polycarbonate.

Martin

eric35II

Member I
hatch

thanks martin

when the rainy season is over i'm going to send the old cover and have them make me a new one. if i may ask what was a ball park price for the replacement.....

happy boating
thanks
greg