• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"Sail Expo" coming! April 13 -17, 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Strictly Sail" April 13 -17, 2005

Ahoy! All west coast Ericson and Olson owners!
Time to gather the Viking clans again! :egrin:

This upcoming years' dates are April 13 - 17, 2005.
Here is their URL --
http://www.sailamerica.com/strictlysail/shows/pacific.asp?show=pa

I just booked our motel and air fares. We will be there Thursday am (14th) and leave Sunday pm (17th). Location is Jack London Square, Oakland, CA.

(If anyone wants to do a social hour or a sail on San Francisco Bay, we will chip in for the drinks and snacks.....) Saturday or Sunday would be great for socializing and sight seeing, as we plan to spend Thursday and Friday at the show all day.
Plans can change, but that's our take on it for now.

See you there,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8
:D

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Strictly Sail show, Jack London Square, April '05

It looks like a small group fron our YC is going to gather for dinner, Friday the 15th, at a place called "Barclay's" (a pub at Jack London Square) if they have a back room that can accommodate us. A transplanted RCYC member living in Berkley is coordinating things for us...
Location is tentative.

Any chance of an Ericson/Olson gathering on Saturday evening? A sail on the Bay?
Hint, Hint...... :)
We still plan to spend all day Thursday and Friday at the show.

See you there,

Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8 Fresh Air

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good Friends and Strictly Sail

Here I am, back home.
Looking out the window in Portland this morning, it's 42 degrees outside, cloudy with light rain. There was a small pileup of hailstones in our front yard when we got home last night!
The prediction is for it to improve and get more sunny throughout the week, however....

The Show at Jack London Square was excellent as usual. There was even a Pacific Seacraft 40 on display and next to it a Hanse 341 -- both absent last year at this show. And both a great relief from the "condos with masts" that dominate the market.

My neck and ears are sun-burned from sailing on the Bay on Saturday.
The boards here at Ericsonyachts.org provided me with the means to one of the nicest mini-vacations in a very long time! Before flying down on Thursday morning I had exchanged emails with two (!) Olson 34 owners about getting together and going for a sail. At the show my cell phone rings and another "friend I had not yet met" is arranging to meet me at the show just to chat. Bert Mohr and I had a nice talk and I admired his pictures of his beautiful E-35/2. I have decided that his model is one of the several Modern Classic Ericsons that motivates owners to put forth special efforts to maintain and upgrade! I did not visit his boat, but you Bay area Ericson sailors might want to include Bert in your raftups....

Then, while wandering around the tent displays, I connect with Paul and Sally, whose O-34 lives in SoCal but they live in the Bay area....
It just gets better. At dinner at a local pub on Friday night, we get to yak up a storm with the Landsoms and Charlie and Candace who also have an O-34. Charlie generously agrees to take Paul and I for a sail on Saturday.

Better and better still..... :)
Sun shines, winds blows and we are out for several hours, taking turns driving and trimming. 20 kts apparent and the boat is well powered-up.
Turns out Charlie has the lovely dark blue Olson that used to be on the East Coast! That LPU paint job with the gold cove stripe is just stunning!
Hey, I only got lost once on the 880 freeway once trying to find his marina at Richmond in my little rental car....
<BG>
Yesterday, we drove over to Alameda to check out the carrier Hornet, and lucky us -- it's a free tour day! Another Portland couple with an Ericson 32/3 was with us and none of us had ever been on board a carrier. They have a just-retired Tomcat on the hanger deck (Oh My!) ... From the engine room to the "control tower" where the Air Boss worked, we got explanations from the docents. We must have been aboard nearly 3 hours.

By the way, guys and gals, Saturday was also my birthday. Awesome present! Thanks again Charlie.

Thanks for the memories,

Loren
Olson 34 #8 Fresh Air
RCYC, Portland, OR

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.