• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35 halyards

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I need to replace the main and jib halyards on a 42' mast, currently have wire/rope. Anyone any advice on this size of mast different from the discussion on the 27 below? Plus, is there a minimum thickness of line that will not tear up hands excesssively?
Also, any recommendations on material to use for spinnaker, staysail, topping lift halyards, which would be easy to modify for not having wire if necessary?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
3/8 Main Halyard

I used Sampson 3/8" XLS for my main. That's the size the manual has in it - and from what I hear from other owners (and my rigger), the sheeve won't take much more.

I sewed the end together with the old one, and ran it through. If you have an existing rope/wire main halyard, however - I would suggest (as others have), that you go aloft and check the sheeve for wear before running the new one.

I need to replace my wire/rope jib halyard, and will be inspecting the sheeve this weekend..... A chance to try out my new Harken climbing blocks and harness! :D

//sse