• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Water Heater Hell!

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Ok - I would like to hear from everyone on this subject. I know that I've discussed it some on the Ericson Mail List - but I think I'm going to document it, and turn it into a project for this site - so if you please....

My Raritan water heater is shot - has to be replaced - and only hisses when I try to pressurize the system. Problem is, the hatch this heater will come through is only 12" wide - and the heater is about 13.5" or 14" wide. What fun! :rolleyes:

I've heard some stories about people getting their's out of their boat...... Would anyone like to share their personal hell with us before I go through mine (in August)?

Thanks!
//sse

Ray Rhode

Member III
Sean,

Don't know if you missed it but an earlier discussion on the list mentioned removing the outer shell and the insulation. This reduced the diameter enough to get it out through the starboard locker. I seem to recall that the same post mentioned using the reverse proceedure for getting the new heater in. Disassembly during removal will give you a good idea of how to get the new unit in. What are you going to replace it with? I really like the look of the Iostherm units. They keep the water hot longer even longer if you get the one with the heat holding insert. Don't particularly like the price but it might be better than running the engine every time you need hot water.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Isoterm - yep!

That's what I'm using to replace my Raritan!

It's about $500 for a 6 gallon model, but it will have the electric heating element for when I'm at the dock - and the insulation is easy to remove. The mounts are also very simple to install (the thing looks like a bomb on it's side!).

Go to http://www.isotherm.com for more info - or to their American distributors: http://www.great-water.com/

I saw the bit about tearing apart the old one.... I was just wondering if anyone else had interesting/hellish stories about changing out their water heaters.......

//sse

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
More on the Water Heater Rip Out...

Well - I took out my old Raritan this weekend - and took the opportunity to also take out the muffler, change an exhaust hose, and take apart and repaint everything (Interlux's Bilgekoat again!) aft of the engine!

After four days of work, I'm happy to say that I'm just about done. I just have to hookup the lines to the engine, and the electrical connection and I'm done. The new Isotherm went in with no problem at all - and I'm really glad it bought it.

By the way - have you ever removed those little shelves that the heater and muffler sit on? I pulled mine out to paint them - and found that there is a bulge in the hull below that which supports the water heater! :confused:

The bulge is significant enough that it creates a little lake behind it..... I should probably have waited to ask Martin King what it was for - but I got some long glass filler instead and turned the lake into a river valley (I was on a schedule, so...). No matter - the water flows right through now...

Now this means I can start working on the teak headliner for the head - which means I have to consider putting in that vent hatch I've been looking at......sometime in the next couple of months....;)

//sse

cruis-n

Member II
What size unit did you install?

Sean -
What size unit did you install? I'm looking at the 6 gallon size. There are two varieties, Slim and Basic. http://www.indelmarineusa.com/basicwater.htm I'm leaning toward the Basic unit which is shorter but it is also larger diameter. The Slim model is quite a bit longer but clearly will fit through the locker cover. I'm concerned about the Basic model fitting through the locker. I'm replacing a Seaward 6 gallon model that does not retain the heat as well as I'd like.

Thanks,
Paul

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
The basic 6 gallon. Excellent unit - very easy to put in and pull out. Make sure you use both 12 and 120 connectors so you can pull the unit out if you ever need to (the mounts strap it down - so it's a breeze to pull out).

You'll be really happy with that unit - trust me. It holds hot water a long, long, long time.

//sse

Tom Plummer

Member III
:confused: WARNING possible trouble with the ISOTEMP!!!!

I also installed an Isotemp 6 gal and it works wonderful the water stays hot a lot longer than it did with the OEM unit. But,! Is see a problem with the new design, it does not appear that the insulation is split in half anymore.

cruis-n

Member II
Thanks!

I had noticed that the current models do not look like the photos that Sean had posted. In looking around I found that the Volvo Penta QL water heaters look very similar to the older Isotherm/Isotemp units.

http://www.great-water.com/pages/product_pages/ql_waterheater.htm

Anyone have experience with them good or bad? Performance seems to be acceptable and the shell can be removed for installation through the narrow locker on my E35-3.

Sean - I'm puzzled, what did you mean when referring to "Make sure you use both 12 and 120 connectors..."? 12V and 120V or something else? I looked through the installation manual and could not find any references to 12 and 120.

Paul

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
What I meant was to be sure that you have both connections set up with connectors (instead of hard wiring it) so you can remove the unit if you need to.

I'm not sure what the current status is of the insulation - but I cannot imagine that they changed it. From this link it appears that the six gallon model is still the same configuration....

//sse

rssailor

Isotherm water heater

Sean,
When ya installed your water heater, did you have to seal the barbs for cold and hot water with 5200? The darn threads are BSP (british pipe thread). The US rep. told me after not being able to stop the leaking at the threads that even with the adapters, the best way to seal the threads with 5200. What a pain. Have installed an Atlantic marine unit since then, and what a great water heater. Ryan

cruis-n

Member II
Taking the plunge... let's hope the water is warm

Thanks everyone for the information. I've decided to install the Volvo Penta QL water heater from Great Water (http://www.great-water.com/pages/product_pages/ql_waterheater.htm). It's basically the same unit that Sean installed. The water heater that Sean installed in no longer available, they were discontinued starting sometime in 2000. According the the Great Water, they have switched to a stainless shell over a stainless tank and then inject foam between the two. This prevents removing the outer shell to get it in the locker without surgery. The Great Water folks speculated that the Isotemp unit Sean installed and the Volvo Penta units were made in the same factory but who knows.

I talked to the rep about the BSP threads and they said the same thing Ryan said. They do supply BSP-NPT adapters and recommeded the use of pipe dope on the threaded connections. All in all, wery nice people to deal with. I'll let you know how it turns out.

:confused: BTW, the link in the Great Water web site (Tech Support) shows both the older (called Regular) and current (called Basic and Slim) Isotemp products http://www.great-water.com/pages/isotemp.htm so it was a bit confusing sorting out why I could not find pricing for the orange Isotemp units. Defender (and others) carries only the current (Basic & Slim) units not the orange 'Regular' units. FYI.

Paul

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
rssailor said:
Sean,
When ya installed your water heater, did you have to seal the barbs for cold and hot water with 5200? The darn threads are BSP (british pipe thread). The US rep. told me after not being able to stop the leaking at the threads that even with the adapters, the best way to seal the threads with 5200. What a pain. Have installed an Atlantic marine unit since then, and what a great water heater. Ryan

No - no 5200 on the barbs. I just used good 316 (?) grade SS hose clamps, standard plumbers tape (no kidding) and new hose - no leaks. The heater does (or did, rather) have a pressure bleed valve on it, however that always dripped a little when the system first heated up. Isotemp said that was normal - so I made an allowance for it (routed a hose into the bilge for it).

//sse

cruis-n

Member II
Come on in, the water is fine!

As promised, I'm reporting back on the QL water heater install.

Everything went like clockwork. I prepared a piece of plywood to fit on top of the existing water heater mount. Coated it with two coats of epoxy. I drilled and counter sunk four carriage bolts to fit the mounting feet on the water heater. Once that was done, I screwed down the new board on top of the old one with 6 ss wood screws. Once that was done it was a matter of taking the QL water heater apart, taking off the foam and sliding the tank through the lazerette opening. No cutting required! :) Once the water heater was reassembled, it was boled down using the four carriage bolts and secured with large washers and nuts.

The messiest part of the project was connecting the heat exchanger. We used two pair of vice grips to pinch the hose (gently) and and pair of forceps on the overflow tube on the coolent reservoir. This provided an air-lock so that the entire coolent reservoir would not drain out whrn the hoses were split. It worked pretty well but we still got some coolent leaking during the hookup.

Finally, it came to hooking up the hot and cold water fittings. The local home improvement store had the proper 3/8" fittings and I had some of the Quest tubing left over from another project so that part was a snap. We decided to add a shutoff to the cold water supply while we were at it.

The electrical hookup was easy. We cut off the plug and installed ring terminals. This was hoolked up to the terminal strip then covered with the clear plastic protective cover I fabricated from a piece of plexiglass using a heat gun to soften it.

After the install was complete, we started the engine (taking care to remove the vice grips and forceps. As the engine got up to temp, I had to 'burp' the engine. This involved carefully opening the petcock on the top of the thermostat housing to get out the accumulated air. This took about 1/2 hour to let ithe engine idle, burp it, wait a bit, burp it again till no moe air bubbles came out. We topped off the coolent tank the we went out motoring. The engine ran fine, never getting above 160 degrees which is normal for our M25 with the larger heat exchanger.

Thanks to everyone for the information. Would I do it again? Not if I didn't have to but as projects go, this one was not bad (way better than replacing the holding tank). The folks at Great Water were great (pardon the pun) to work with. They pre-installed the thermostatic mixing valve and supplied couplers so all I had to do was supply the hose barbs fittings for the heat exchanger and the hot and cold Quest fittings. I'd highly recommend them.

Paul

Attachments

• water_heater.jpg
    water_heater.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,367

tramp

Member I
Hello, I am a new member to the forum. I have an 1990 E34. My water heater replacement story from hell is not too bad. Just that laying in the sail locker in the summer heat was tough. I had to disconnect the holding tank hoses to get the job done (after putting it off trying to work around the hoses for an hour). Now I still have a problem, the over temp pressure valve pops when I run the engine and the water is too hot. This runs into the bilge and I do want a dry bilge. I thought of replacing the valve but just thinking of pulling the heater again makes me go for the scotch bottle. Any suggestions?
Tramp

Tom Plummer

Member III
Basic trouble shooting procedure is to fiars cut the problem in half. Is it the water heater or is it an over hated engine. The first thing I would check is the temp of the water in the tank when the relief valve lifts. That will give you a starting point.

Art Mullinax

Member III
Too much stuff to do

When do you guys have time to go out and enjoy the boat??? After reading all of these posts seems like ya'll just bought a boat to have something else to work on.
Art (LAZY) M.
E29

Tom Plummer

Member III
Let me try this again this time I will read my reply before I send it.

Basic troubleshooting technique is to try and cut the problem in half. In this case what I would do is take the temp of the water when the relief valve lifts. If it is below the rated temp for the valve then out comes the heater and the valve gets replaced. If the temp is above the rated temp of the relief valve then the cooling system for you engine is the most likely suspect. Perhaps the thermostat is clogged or has to high of a relief setting. Most diesels are set between 160 and 190 degrees. Let us know what you find.

stbdtack

Member III
isotemp....

Finally decided the old rusty Raritan heater had to go. Besides being ready to fall apart, it kept the water hot for about 3 hours, and continually drooled into the bilge.
Practical sailor did a test and rated the isotemp best at keeping the water hot longest. All stainless was a bonus too. Ordered one from Great Water (they a pleasure to deal with) and just installed it.

This unit aint cheap( $495) but it is very high quality. I had just enough room (1/8") to get it into the cockpit locker. Also nearly doubled my capacity, 6 gallons up to 11 gallons. I read earlier about the BST threads and leaking issues but they sent adapters to NPT with the unit so I just used teflon thread seal and had no problems. It has a really efficient HE for the engine hook-up and I noticed that the water heated very quickly from the engine. After 24 hours the water was still hot enough to shower and 48 hours later it was still warm!! I doubt the old heater did that even when it was new.

They only come with a 750 watt element but a 1200 watt element is available. So far the 750 watts seems to heat quickly enough and at only 7 amps, I can use the inverter to "assist" the engine HE if I want fast hot water.
Thanks for all the info in the earlier posts. BTW the split-apart isulation model is still available if you have a clearance issue.

Attachments

• isot1.jpg
    isot1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 117
  • isot2.jpg
    isot2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 137

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Ooooooooohhhhhh-Ahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - nice stuff, Ben! They really make excellent gear...you won't be sorry...

//sse

stbdtack

Member III
Thx Sean, hey I take it yours has been trouble free and youre happy with it?

I'm happy I can forget about my old leaky water heater now and just enjoy lots of hot water!:p