• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"Dripless"

daynardi

Member II
I have a so-called dripless PSI shaft seal. Basicly ok, but occasionally the stator starts to oscellate on the shaft. The oscellation builds until the inside of the graphite stator strikes the shaft producing a loud rattling noise. Some water spray sometimes accompanies this performance. Used to occur at normal cruising speed, but last week, I caught it in the act with the prop free-wheeling while we were sailing. This can't be good. I keep thinking that graphite is slightly brittle, would be messy if the stator cracked.

I was able to reduce but not eliminate the oscellation by sliding the rotor aft, increasing the compression of the rubber boot. Don't know how much of this is ok.

Engine seems reasonably steady, and last time out of water, cutlass bearing was ok. (Obviously, no vibration from engine when prop free-wheeling under sail)

Anyone out there have experience with this? Can I ignore it or should it worry me?

-DA

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
If not "Dripless" - Then What?

I read your post with some concern. My stuffing box has been leaking since I got the boat - and was considering getting a "dripless" version next year when I haul out.

Except for this current problem you're having, have you mostly had a good experience with that seal? Where does the one you have stand with others on the market?

Thanks,
//sse

daynardi

Member II
Mostly dripless

Other than the oscellation problem, I have had no trouble. The seal has been in the boat for about three years, including one summer of mostly motoring from Seattle to Juneau and back. It doesn't leak at all when the shaft is not moving, much dryer than my old stuffing box.

I followed the procedure outlined in the manufacturer's instructions regarding incrementally increasing the compression of the seal. This helped but never completely eliminated the problem.

As I stated in my message, I don't know how serious this is. Do I need to worry or can I ignore this?

Good discussion of dripless seals in Nigel Calder's book, "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual", 2nd ed. He describes the PSI seal and several other products.

-DA

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I took the middle road and used the dripless PTFE packing material (which is sandwiched between two rings of flax). No drips and no heating and you get the security of the tried and true stuffing box.