• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rule clarification

Bob in Va

Member III
Some clubs allow the use of a whisker pole on the same side as the boom in racing, others consider this taboo. What is the currently generally accepted practice, and is there any interesting history attached to any changes that have been made concering this issue?

Last edited:
I am a US Sailing certified club race officer (please make low bow to indicate proper respect) and the RRS (Racing Rules of Sailing) address this issue in 50.2. So you don't have to go out and buy the book--though it is cool to have--you can put the pole out on either side. Most NORs (Notice of Race) state that the race will be run under the RRS. If the club you race with is not doing it by the book, find another club.
There is only one way to do it right.
Morgan Stinemetz

Bob in Va

Member III
Good to know

Thanks Morgan. I know that in past years it was not allowed, and I wondered why. Something we tried that worked real well was to run the pole behind the shrouds - this was of course in very light wind, and it allowed our 150 to shape much better (what little wind there was had gone from dead aft to somewhat forward of the beam.) In fact, I suspect it allowed us to win the race, as we were able to outdistance a Columbia 29 from the time we tried it until we turned the leeward mark in our E-23. From there to the line we were able to gain a bit more.