• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Securing Fuel Tank

Bill Robbins

Member II
Hi all,
The fuel tank in my E-35 Mkll is not strapped in. Currently its V bottomed shape conformes to the hull's stern shape and two peices of 2x2 wood epoxied to the hull on each side of the tank keep the tank nesseled in snuggly. The fuel fill hose is the only force pushing the tank down.
Even though the tank has stayed in possition after sailing in some nasty weather, it bothers me that there is no strap over the tank to hold it securly in possition.
I have some retrofit plans, but what I really want to know is, do all Ericsons have an unsecured tank or has mine been taken off prior to my ownership. If there is a strap of some kind, how is it designed.
Thanks as always

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
E35-2 Tank

I have no idea - but I know that Stan just ripped his out and replaced it - Stan, how about it?

//sse

piezzi

The tank in my 1970 E29 #45 was not secure, and I installed stainless anchor points on each side. I then used a heavy nylon strap with hooks on each end and the strap ratchets down. The problem was solved for less than $25.

Good luck.

JORGE

Member III
My original tank

On my E 32-2 I have removed the old galvanized fuel tank which was perforated and no longer useful. It was retained with teak framing strips and the fuel inlet hose line from immediately above (cockpit sole).
My replacement Xlinked-poly tank is currently being fitted and the nylon strapping idea sounds ideal.
Does anyone know of a suitable way to cushion the edges of the tank, against abrasion ? I'm aware that rubber decays in saltwater environments.

piezzi

Hi Jorge - I placed a piece of sealed hard wood across the top of my tank that has a recessed grove a little bit wider than the width of the nylon strap. The wood piece is 2 inches or so longer than the tank and sticks out about an inch on each side. By hooking the nylon strap to your anchor points and running the strap over the wood piece so that it rests in the groove, the strap can not chafe the tank and will remain in place once ratched down.

Hope this helps.

Paul
s/v Freudian Sloop
1970 E29 #45