• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Optimum heel angle for E28+

Gary G

Member II
I'm in my 2nd year of ownership of a 1983 E28+ and would like to know what the optimum heel angle is for the boat beating to windward. I've searched the archives here and there's lots of good info, but I'm hoping someone has first hand experience with the E28+ they can pass along to me. My family and I are having a blast sailing this boat on Lake Michigan every chance we get! Fair winds to all.

valentor

Member II
Gary;

To get the scientific answer to your question, you would need to get a 'Performance Package' from US Sailing. It will give you optimal sailing angles and the corresponding angles of heel at various wind conditions. At $200 this is a sizable investment suited to the serious racer.

As a general rule, 30 degrees is well beyond any efficiency. For my Ericson 34, the highest degree of heel (from the Performance Package) is 27 degrees. At that point of sail, it requires a LOT of bodies on the rail and careful driving to hold the boat down to that angle as the Lake Michigan winds build.

When I sail with my family, I usually reduce headsail and use the traveller to limit the heel to at most 20 degrees. At that level, the boat is faster, safer, and much more pleasant.

Regards;

Steve Valentor