• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3 "Bluewater" boat?

pappy42

Is the E35-3 generally considered strong enough for offshore cruising?

Primary area would be the Gulf of Mexico and possibly the Carribean.

Strong enough?

I sailed my boat (E-27) from Tampa Bay to Cuba (740-mile round trip) and back this spring. The boats are stronger than the crew. Go for it.
Morgan

Ray Rhode

Member III
We've sailed our E35-III across the Gulf from Carabelle to Clearwater (145 nm) and back and were very comfortable. We are planning a longer cruise next year to include teh keys and the Dry Tourtugas. The E35-IIIs design and construction is more that adequate; the big question would be the condition of the particular E35-III you are considering.

Where are you located? I assume you are located on the Gulf side of Florida.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

ccorcoran

Member II
How about Hawaii?

A quick review of the most recent edition of Latitude 38 will reveal that there were three Ericsons that recently raced from San Francisco to Hawaii (one 30, and two 35s) -- all single-handed. This race is held every other year and sponsored by West Marine. Not only did the Ericsons do well, the 1971 Ericson 35 won its class and was the oldest boat in the race! IMHO, the later model E35 III are even tougher, better appointed, more stable and sea kindly. That's a long answer to a short question; yes, I think a 35 III should provide what you need for your offshore adventures, provided the boat is in good shape and the gear is all current (that applies to just about any boat!). BTW, reports from those who participated in the race say that the boats spent the first three says in nearly 30 knot winds and very serious seas; if a 33 year old Ericson can survive that to win, I'd think a later model would fair as well.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Ericsons offshore

As you have gathered, your boat is fine, and is even stronger than the older ones. The usual things still apply: Bigger cockpit drains, reinforced hatchboard and hatch runners, handholds, etc. Not many things to do, but a few for sure.
feel free to contact me directly with any specific questions.
cheers