• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Babies on board!

ref_123

Member III
Hi, people,

I decided to dip into the pool of a shared wisdom in regards of a sailing with babies and toddlers on board. I've read quite a bit on it in magazines and on Sailnet, but may be someone here can share the knowledge and experience, and, for the heck of it, may be even blue prints for a one or two contraptions?

Thanks in advance,
Stan

chrism

Inactive Member
Lee Cloths

Lee cloths for a sette are a must. When I was younger, sleeping while underway was impossible without a lee cloth, and at anchor it's an added security.

Also, life jackets that fit are also a must. A new one that fits at least once a year. Make sure you can lift the jacket up and your kid doesn't slide out.

A "leash" type harness that connects to the stern pulpit that doesnt allow the child out of the cockpit is also a good idea.

If you plan on cruising with your younger crew, I also remember some other things from my very young days sailing.

Hope some of that rambling helps,

Chris

ref_123

Member III
Babies on board! How old?

Thanks, Chris,

what you recommend is much appreciated. The questions though is: how young exactly is old enough for sailing (some people wrote they were sailing with a 6-weeks old baby)? I guess, lee cloth will not be enough for such a case...

Thanks,
Stan

chrism

Inactive Member
Well....

First of all, let me add that I am 14 right now...

When I was six months old, I sailed for the first time. I will find out from my parents how that was managed. I suppose I would've gone earlier, but I was a December baby, and it was a late May launch.

I'll get back to you,

Chris

John Yandow

Member I
Babies on board

I say, they are never to young. I had my first out at 4 weeks old and my youngest out at 2 weeks old. I will add that it is going to depend how comfortable you and your wife feel. We didn't go out with strong winds or anything thing like that. My girls are 6 and 8 now and they love that boat.

Lew Decker

Member III
More babies...

I ran into a family down in Costa Rica who were cruising with an infant. They had a little Cross 28 trimaran they were sailing from San Diego to New Orleans and had stopped in Puntarenas (Joe Hill's) for a little repair job on the keel. Baby Anatole lived in the forepeak most of the time. Yuri had strung some soft vinyl netting across the wide part of the V-berth and it made a playpen, perfect and safe and comfortable. I wanted to dive in! They never had a problem and you could hear Anatole laughing and cooing all over the anchorage. They made it to New Orleans safely, but I never knew what became of them. Baby Anatole was something else...

ref_123

Member III
Thanks!...

Thanks everyone for the information. I am thinking about rebuilding the V-berth as a "baby pen" as well, although that answers more to a question of what you do with them on anchor or in the dock; I am still a bit fuzzy in regards of the baby accomodations when we are on the move. I am thinking about putting a car seat in the cockpit.

Thanks again,
Stan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rock a bye sailing....

I have no first hand info, having avoided creating any children...
:rolleyes:

But some friends of ours used to go sailing a lot and even did some overnighting with their baby when he was only weeks old. They were sailing a Ranger 20 and would rig a small "gear" hammock from the mast support to the inside bow, in the cuddy cabin. They said that the baby slept very well with the motion of the boat. Of course at that age, baby interaction consisted of nursing, sleeping, and filling diapers...
:)

I have a priceless photo of them waving what appeared to be a yellow flag off the stern.. bright yellow... Oh, it wasn't a flag... :eek:

Loren in PDX