• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 29 Hull Speed

rjuhl

Looking for information on what the theoretical hull speed Min / Max is for an Ericson 29.

thanks
Randy

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The basic formula is quoted in another post. Search on "E-27 hull speed".
I imagine that you can motor at 6 knots and do over 7 under sail.

Best,
Loren

timoteo

Member II
well, hull speed.....between 6 and 7, rather 6 than 7 ,dont like to stress her out,sail most of the time by myself soooo, a nice 6 is more than enough

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Hull speed

Hi Guys-I'm BAAACKKK! The formula is 1.34 X sq. root of the LWL. This gives the theoretical hull speed. Hull speed is OFTEN exceeded when sailing-sometimes without surfing (although that is the best way to exceed it).

It is by no means an absolute limit, but rather the point at which an extraordinary amount of extra power is needed to go faster (you are up against the bow wave). That is the simple explanation.
Happy sailing all!

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
Speed

I hit 12.3 on the GPS during Swiftsure this year, it was at that point that we thought it prudent to take the kite down. Still, with the full main and the heavy 3, we saw 11.8 about 20 minutes later. A couple waves in the cockpit, one person driving, and another dumping main... FUN!

Lawdog

Member III
E 29 speed

I just sailed up to Boothbay Harbor Maine from Portland, Maine with a 10-14 kt breeze on my starboard rear quarter, broad reaching with full main and 130 and regularly hit 6.6, 7.0 and on several occasions hit 7.3, the waves were only about 1-3 feet from the same quarter, and it was a comfortable, quiet, dry ride, autopilot also worked fine, although I extended the rudder and got better tracking. I had my speed alarm on at 7kt, and had to turn it off, as it beeped so much!