• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

First sail of 2017

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
First sail of the new year. Good wind and nice flat water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 46

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
No Snowmageddon but lots of rain and waves lately. A few days ago a buoy in the Monterey Bay registered 34' swells, a new record. Unfortunately the Santa Cruz Harbor entrance is now shoaled in. Hopefully the new 5 million dollar dredge will be more effective then the old one was last year.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Somebody here got ambitious yesterday and tried playing Junior Icebreaker. I have to admit that I've been tempted, too. Looks like he made it: the trail leads from a (now) empty slip, around the corner and out to open water. Unfortunately, he didn't go down my fairway.

IMG_1729.jpg

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
But that can't be good for a fibreglass hull! :0

Living on Vancouver island, we do get a very light freeze in the marina once or twice a year, lasting a day or two. The ice might be about 1/8" thick at most. I have gone out in our E30+ when it has begun to melt, so is a bit softer, but I don't like the idea of the hull breaking the ice.

Does anyone have any "scientific" or technical knowledge or guess about how much ice our boats can likely break through without risking real damage?

Frank

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
As I understand it, the approved technique is to get the bow to lunge up onto the ice and let the weight of the keel push the ice down to break. *
Our ice seems to be getting a bit thinner every day. It started out around 1.5 - 2 inches thick, then got six inches of snow on top, which all melted to form a 6" slush layer, which then refroze. No way the boat was going to budge from that. I was a bit worried that it seemed to be sitting very low in the water... until I realized that the ice was floating, so the actual water line was still several inches below the surface. Seems to be back down to 1 - 2 inches now. Maybe 200 yards to clear water. Or less if one could intersect that guy's track.

*Possibly a good way to crack off plastic depth and speed through-hulls.

Last edited:

Emerald

I have no scientific evidence, but years back I was headed in for a haul out, and the marina was on a cove that got iced. I had to make my way through a thin sheet. My recollection was the paint around the boot stripe took a hit, and the consensus was you really didn't want to put your fiberglass hull through anything thicker than a thin sheet. Wonder what this guy's boat will look like when/if he returns?