• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Weight Distribution

Bob in Va

Member III
My E23 shares the common "Ericson squat" when under way and I'm pretty sure the deeper the stern settles, the less efficiently she is moving through the water. I have taken numerous steps to get moveable weight forward, and the results seem to help. Now I am wondering what the ideal location of crew is, especially when sailing upwind. When singlehanding, she seems to be fastest when I am sitting as far forward as I can in the cockpit, or on the corresponding weather rail. However, with 2 or 3 people on the boat, it's tough to get them forward of that position and still have them able to do anything useful such as sheet tending, other than simply acting as rail meat. Also, if they are forward, they are in the air flow and acting as drag. On a larger boat that is probably negligible, but I suspect it might make a difference on one as small as mine. Additionally, I've heard some authorities say that a moderate amount of heel is desireable in these boats, while others urge keeping them as flat as possible to maximise the keel's lift. Of course, this is all assuming a racing situation where small gains or losses can make a big difference at the end of the day. What is the prevailing wisdom?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Weight

I would keep my crew right around the chainplates (high side in breeze; low side when it's very light), with you as far fwd as possible as you say. If it is REALLY breezy, you can experiment with moving thngs back some.

Regarding heel, up to 8-10 degrees can help a little in very light air (reduced wetted surface, give the helm a little "feel", and the sails will setlle with a little more "shape" than if you were bolt upright).
After that, work on reducing heel.
Have fun!