• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rules for scattering human ashes at sea

Sam Vickery

Member III
A dear neighbor of mine ask if I would take he (96 years old) his son and daughter out to scatter his wife's remains. She was 93 and loved the ocean. Are there any restrictions regarding this? 2 miles out? 3 miles out? Do so and don't tell anyone?

Sam
1986 32-3
North Star
Dana Point, Ca

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Ashes

Mine will be scattered somewhere on Lake Champlain. If in winter, scattered across whatever ice is available. Hard to get very far from land here. As is my custom, no permission will be asked for. It's all biodegradable. "We don't need no stinking badges."

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
3 miles offshore

Make sure you you pour them from the leeward side so you don't end up like "Dude" in the Big Lebowski

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Did this for a girlfriends father when he passed. As far as I know there are no restrictions on scattering remains at sea. We did it 1/4 mile from shore. If the wind is favorable I'd suggest a broad reach and definitely let them go to leeward. Much nicer to do it under sail so no motor noise to overcome if someone is officiating the ceremony.

Or you can do like we did with my best friends father, stop the car, jump out, and chuck him off the Astoria bridge. Hop back in and drive off.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

fool

Member III
I'll cut and past the official regs below...

When we took Diana out to sea it was a brilliant day to sail. Good winds and enough sea to make it interesting, but not enough to make anyone sick. Three miles out from San Diego Bay we cast her (ashes) off to lee, and protected by pouring close to the waterline. A few flowers made tracking her departure easier and gave everyone something to contribute so we didn't have to distribute fistfuls of Diana ash about the deck.

When we returned to the bay a "professional services" barge was just tossing their wreaths into the water at the mouth of the harbor. "So much for the three mile limit" I said to the skipper. "Great day to cast off though" he replied, and he was right. Had Diana known she could have skipped the cremation she might have asked for greater depth of water.

There is great comfort in knowing when a vessel leaves our shore, sails over the horizon and out of sight, that on a distant shore others wait in greeting, waiting for the arrival that very same ship.

Burial at Sea--Rules and Regulations
This is the actual Environmental Protection Agency rule on burial of human remains at sea.
Sec. 229.1 Burial at sea.
(a) All persons subject to title I of the Act are hereby granted a general permit to transport human remains from the United States and all persons owning or operating a vessel or aircraft registered in the United States or flying the United States flag and all departments, agencies, or instrumentalities of the United States are hereby granted a general permit to transport human remains from any location for the purpose of burial at sea and to bury such remains at sea subject to the following conditions:
(1) Except as herein otherwise provided, human remains shall be prepared for burial at sea and shall be buried in accordance with accepted practices and requirements as may be deemed appropriate and desirable by the United States Navy, United States Coast Guard, or civil authority charged with the responsibility for making such arrangements;
(2) Burial at sea of human remains which are not cremated shall take place no closer than 3 nautical miles from land and in water no less than one hundred fathoms (six hundred feet) deep and in no less than three hundred fathoms (eighteen hundred feet) from (i) 27 deg.30'00" to 31 deg.00'00" North Latitude off St. Augustine and Cape Canaveral, Florida; (ii) 82 deg.20'00" to 84 deg.00'00" West Longitude off Dry Tortugas, Florida; and (iii) 87 deg.15'00" to 89 deg.50'00" West Longitude off the Mississippi River Delta, Louisiana, to Pensacola, Florida. All necessary measures shall be taken to ensure that the remains sink to the bottom rapidly and permanently; and
(3) Cremated remains shall be buried in or on ocean waters without regard to the depth limitations specified in paragraph (a)(2) of this section provided that such burial shall take place no closer than 3 nautical miles from land.
(b) For purposes of this section and Secs. 229.2 and 229.3, land means that portion of the baseline from which the territorial sea is measured, as provided for in the Convention on the Territorial Sea and the Contiguous Zone, which is in closest proximity to the proposed disposal site.
(c) Flowers and wreaths consisting of materials which are readily decomposable in the marine environment may be disposed of under the general permit set forth in this section at the site at which disposal of human remains is authorized.
(d) All burials conducted under this general permit shall be reported within 30 days to the Regional Administrator of the Region from which the vessel carrying the remains departed.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I assumed that it would be 3 miles, consistent with all the other regulations, but couldn't imagine anyone getting hassled over ashes. Just DADT.

BTW, if you can get out to 4000-5000 meter depths, the ashes can hypothetically reach the calcite compensation depth, at which point they can physically dissolve in sea water. (This is the same reason that empty pairs of shoes, but no bones were found on the Titanic.)

We waited for a windy day and threw Mom & Dad's ashes into the sky from the top of the hill above the farm. Worked pretty well.