• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Upgraded to an Ericson 35...

adam

Member III
After years of shopping for a bigger boat, I finally upgraded from an 1973 Ericson 29 to a 1973 Ericson 35. *sigh* :-D

She needs quite a bit of work, but I think I pretty much got a steal on her.

Here's something I'm curious about though. There are many E35s with the engine in the center of the cabin. There are some E35s with the engine under the stairs, and dual settees instead of the dinette.

But this is the very first one I've ever seen that has the engine behind the stairs and a dinette. Are there others like it?

Attachments

• 13179174_10153549603753309_3845334264331523359_n.jpg
    13179174_10153549603753309_3845334264331523359_n.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

adam

Member III
Next question...

Does anyone know what this number is? It doesn't seem to be in the format of a Coast Guard Registration Number.

Attachments

• 13138827_10153551469153309_6686507487549786956_n.jpg
    13138827_10153551469153309_6686507487549786956_n.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 910

adam

Member III
I looked on the USCG site for that number. No information listed other than the number and boat name, "Yankee Pedlar".
http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/pls/webpls/cgv_pkg.vessel_id_list

Your picture shows an almost current state registration number and sticker, so a prior owner probably let the federal registration lapse. (?)

Loren

The boat has actually been registered in California through the end of 2015.

And I did the same search you did with the same result, but the "Net 7" was confusing me.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Net Tonnage

"Net 7" probably just means net tonnage per whatever magic formula the USCG uses to calculates it. I don't think its required to be displayed in documented boats, just the number.

And congratulations on the boat by the way! It looks like it should clean up nice!

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Casks of Rum?

"Net 7" probably just means net tonnage per whatever magic formula the USCG uses to calculates it. I don't think its required to be displayed in documented boats, just the number.

And congratulations on the boat by the way! It looks like it should clean up nice!

The whole "admeasurement" process is very old - ancient even.

Your boat was measured under with a formula to assess how many barrels of wine of cubits of salted cod it could hold!
:)

Indeed, it's a nice looking boat.

Loren

Zbingham

Member I
Custom dinette

After years of shopping for a bigger boat, I finally upgraded from an 1973 Ericson 29 to a 1973 Ericson 35. *sigh* :-D

She needs quite a bit of work, but I think I pretty much got a steal on her.

Here's something I'm curious about though. There are many E35s with the engine in the center of the cabin. There are some E35s with the engine under the stairs, and dual settees instead of the dinette.

But this is the very first one I've ever seen that has the engine behind the stairs and a dinette. Are there others like it?

I believe the dinette on yours is custom. I'm not sure that they came that way when it has the aft motor setup. I have the aft motor and the typical settee style with fold down table. Well...I used to...Mine is now torn apart, but I am going to rebuild it with a dinette style with drop down table. Could you please post more pictures of the dinette in yours? I am looking for design ideas. I like how the bulkhead at your Nav station is extended and has the post on it. I am envisioning something similar on mine.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
That dinette table looks period correct and factory built to me.

Last edited:

adam

Member III
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was built this way in the factory.

What specifically do you want photos of?

Zbingham

Member I
Cool. I haven't seen one like that before. A picture from the companionway looking at the chart table please. And then a couple different angles looking at the dinette area. Thanks!

adam

Member III
Excuse the mess, she's still a bit of a construction zone.

But here are some photos for you:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160708_105749.jpg
    20160708_105749.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 801
  • 20160708_105614.jpg
    20160708_105614.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 793
  • 20160708_105548.jpg
    20160708_105548.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 804

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Hey congratulations! I moved up from an E27 to an E35 3 years ago. Wow what a difference.

Your configuration looks the same as my 1986 E35 mk III. Except I have a SS post instead of a wooden one on the Nav station divider. Here's some pics I took when I was kicking her tires before I bought her. Only thing I've changed since is adding a swing arm on the port side of the companionway for the radar display so I can see it while steering.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Int aft.jpg
    Int aft.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 693
  • Int fwd.jpg
    Int fwd.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 660
  • Interior radar mount.jpg
    Interior radar mount.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 673

celtic sea

Member III
I have also just upgraded from a 1973 E27 to a 1975 35. Like you mentioned, what a difference! Motor under stairs
Kevin, I like that wooden radar arm, I saved the pic in hopes to oneday duplicate it. I assume you made that? Nice..
I'll attach a pic, need to get on laptop.
John

seabreeone

Member I
engine placement under stairs

I have a 1978 Ericson 35. It is the dinette model and has a Yanmar 2qm20 under the stairs. I like this set up, very easy access to the engine. My holding tank and a spare battery are under the dinette seat.

adam

Member III
I have a 1978 Ericson 35. It is the dinette model and has a Yanmar 2qm20 under the stairs. I like this set up, very easy access to the engine. My holding tank and a spare battery are under the dinette seat.

Yep. Loving this layout.

How big is your holding tank? And where is your water tank?

My holding tank is I think only 9 gallons. It's the same size as the one on my E29, which is way too small.

My fresh water tank is under my V-berth and it also seems too small for this size of boat

seabreeone

Member I
Water tanks

My holding tank is 13 gal. Also has macerator to dump at sea. Fresh water tank is under V birth. I try to always carry 50+ gal of fresh water. 30 Gal. in the tank that we use for cleaning and rinsing off. Two 6 Gal. Jerry cans on deck and bottle water, beer and soda to drink. We only have an electric water pump so we use more water than if we had a hand or foot pump. So when we are in Catalina for a week or so, we have plenty of fresh water. I have 4 batteries on board. I maintain with a solar panel and the engine alternator. We changed out all lighting to LEDs and found we really don't consume that much power anymore when at anchor. Love the boat. We hope to sail it up to Seattle sometime in 2017 to visit some friends. Like to take it slow going up and stop at some harbors for a few nights. Good luck on your Ericson........

celtic sea

Member III
E35-2

Seabreeone, have you used the engine yet. The po installed the Yanmar 2gm20F in my boat, was wondering about the amount of power available. Recently new boat for me, so waiting for spring here to try it.
John
1975 E35-2

p.gazibara

Member III
Seabreeone, have you used the engine yet. The po installed the Yanmar 2gm20F in my boat, was wondering about the amount of power available. Recently new boat for me, so waiting for spring here to try it.
John
1975 E35-2

When I bought Cinderella I had a 2gm20f. According to others, yanmars are great engines. As far as power goes, I couldn't get to hull speed, but I have a feeling that may have as much to do with the prop as the engine. I think I did about 5 kts at 3500 (when the engine decided to start anyway).

-P