• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 26 III Bimini?

Hello, everyone,
We'd like to add a Bimini to our Ericson 26, however, we note that the boom sits so low, this might be a tight squeeze. How have others dealt with this matter? Many thanks for any help in this regard. Fair winds. Pete

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
A few Options

I've never really thought about a bimini because my tiller puts my at the front of the cockpit. When it rains, I actually sit in the companion way with the hatch pulled back. My legs get nice and toasty warm, but it does allow some rain in the cabin. A Dodger like this one: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?4513-Ericson-25-questions would be really nice. As far as an actual Bimini is concerned, I found this using a Google Search:
eric.jpg

JPS27

Member III
my bimini on E27

Here's a shot of my bimini set up. I do need to set the topping lift a tad higher for clearance. Not much. Probably about 3-4". The boat came with the bimini. I'd prefer a dodger. But I'm sure my wife would go for the bimini for hot summer days on the Chesapeake. With a wheel i'm always in the sun, regardless.

Attachments

• Bimini.jpg
    Bimini.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 621

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I agree a dodger is a nice alternative. I wish mine extended just 6" further aft into the cockpit but i am still able get under it for some protection while at the tiller.
attachment.php
attachment.php
Sorry the pictures show the dodger poorly, its the only pictures I could find of my self online.
I would maybe add an umbrella like christian uses if you wanted more shade in the sun from time to time.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?329-Umbrella-on-a-Boat-3-minute-Video

Attachments

• ericson 26 companionway door.jpg
    ericson 26 companionway door.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_3834.jpg
    IMG_3834.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 566
Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I agree a dodger is a nice alternative. I wish mine extended just 6" further aft into the cockpit but i am still able get under it for some protection while at the tiller.
I would maybe add an umbrella like christian uses if you wanted more shade in the sun from time to time.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?329-Umbrella-on-a-Boat-3-minute-Video
Speaking of umbrellas, that's exactly what I added to my E26. It turns out that an off the shelf Magma umbrella is the perfect height to clear the underside of the boom, whether under sail or at the dock. The umbrella is designed for mounting on a stanchion, but by disassembling the mount I was able to attach the plastic block to the bridge deck and it is positioned perfectly to give me shade while sitting at the tiller. The umbrella is also set up with 4 attachment points to stabilize it, so I could use the thing in 20 knots of wind under sail and it would work just fine. It's specifically designed not to turn itself inside out. At the dock I've had it up in 25 to 30 just to see how it would do and it was fine with the stabilizing lines clipped on. In light wind conditions the lines are unnecessary.

It ain't no dodger but it's cheap, easy to deploy and take down, and is surely better than nothing. It's also great when at anchor or at the dock, especially for keeping rain out of the cabin when the hatch boards are out.

Here's a few pictures. The stabilizing lines are not shown, but these are just 4 lengths of small diameter line with snap hooks. And here is the umbrella as shown on the West Marine site: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/magma--cockpit-umbrella-pacific-blue--15038581

(Apologies for the grungy cockpit....:rolleyes:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Photo Dec 12, 8 59 38 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 12, 8 59 38 AM.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 530
  • Photo Dec 12, 9 00 01 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 12, 9 00 01 AM.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 633
  • Photo Dec 12, 9 00 15 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 12, 9 00 15 AM.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 517
  • Photo Dec 12, 9 00 40 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 12, 9 00 40 AM.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 595
  • Photo Dec 12, 9 01 18 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 12, 9 01 18 AM.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 811
Last edited:

mfield

Member III
but by disassembling the mount I was able to attach the plastic block to the bridge deck

That's a very interesting arrangement. I have ordered on to try out.

Do you have a backing plate behind the plastic block or is it sufficiently thick there so it's unnecessary?

I think I'll try and get an additional stanchion attachment so we can move the shade around.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
That's a very interesting arrangement. I have ordered on to try out.

Do you have a backing plate behind the plastic block or is it sufficiently thick there so it's unnecessary?

I think I'll try and get an additional stanchion attachment so we can move the shade around.
Mike,
I did not use a backing plate nor did I through bolt it. I just used good sized screws. The thickness of the bridge deck is substantial enough and I really don't think it's under a great deal of load. The umbrella's pole is fiberglass, so it flexes readily and the whole umbrella assembly is quite light weight. (In fact, when I first tried it out under sail in a good amount of wind, the umbrella flexed *too much*, falling off to leeward and exposing my head to the sun! :nerd: So that's why I added some easily attached lines to stabilize it for use under way.) Though I could have bolted it with a backing plate easily enough it just seemed like that would be overkill. I did use some Sikaflex 291 on the block and in the holes, which also provides a certain amount of adhesive, but did that mostly just to make sure everything is water tight. It seems very solid.

Before I removed the block from the rail mount I tried moving the mount around to see if there might be a good spot for it; I couldn't really find one. On the E26, the forward stanchions (i.e., to which the lifelines hook) are too far forward and off to the side to do any good, and attaching it to the pushpit puts the umbrella in locations that are not terribly useful. So you might want to play around with the mount before you disassemble it and see if you think there is a reason to obtain a second mount.