• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

No More Interlux 333

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As far as I'm concerned, the secret to a successful varnish job with Schooner Varnish is Interlux Brushing Liquid 333.

333 is now banned in California. West Marine suggests 216 as a substitute. 216 is Xylene. It speeds up drying. Thanks, West Marine, for the advice.

Thinning with 333, which slows drying down, is a huge factor in varnishing in our low humidity and bone-dry breezes.

I don't know of a reliable substitute, so now will have to order from Defender or another online supplier.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Solvent smugglers! That's the new source...

Remember the richer college kids bringing back cases of (Rare and Exotic!) Coors beer from a visit to Colorado, in their VW Microbus in the 60's?
(Decades later, after the microbrew revolution, I figured out that Coors was just another "industrial beer". :) )

Loren

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Interlux Brushing Liquid 333 is 50 - 75% kerosene and 50 - 75% naphtha by volume according to the MSDS.

<cite class="_Rm"></cite>Google "interlux brushing liquid 333 msds" and you can find the data sheet and lots of substitutes.

Does California still allow solvents like Kerosene... naphtha... water?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Interlux called me back and recommended "mineral spirits" as a substitute. "It ought to do the job."

Unfortunately, California mineral spirits (paint thinner) are worthless now, turn white at the slightest provocation and leave lumps of goo on the varnish brush.

So, clean brushes with acetone or diesel. Until I drive to Colorado again.

I 'm willing to pay for the proprietary blend of 333--it works. You only have to varnish in 15 percent Santa Ana humidity once, to get the picture.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have used turpentine for thinning varnish in the past, and understand that it is considered superior to "paint thinner".
I cannot vouch for the chemistry, however.

Loren

MMLOGAN

Member III
Amazon to the rescue

I just went through this dance when I tried to purchase my favorite oil-modified polyurethane from Bona. I ended up ordering it from Amazon and two days later it was at my door. I was able to find Interlux 333 on Amazon and it allows shipping to my CA address...$16.00/quart. I have much better luck with oil based compared to water borne.

Attachments

• 20160221_120235.jpg
    20160221_120235.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20160221_120235.jpg
    20160221_120235.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 55

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Bona

Matt: I think it was your original post that led me to Bona.

I was able to purchase it through a local paint supplier in the Chicago suburbs, but was told on "Pain of Death" that it was for "Professional Use Only".......I became a "Professional".....I don't know what...

Fortunatly, for purposes of varnishing, our hellish summer humidity allowed me to use it straight out of the can......fantastic stuff....came out beautifully.......

Thanks for your post......at least you know someone who benefitted from it.....

Also...will keep closer tabs on Amazon.....when ever I look for anything my daughter always says "try Amazon"....but I am a slow learner....maybe you are a better teacher....

Thanks again

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That sure beats Defender for a quart:

Interlux Brushing Liquid 333
$21.99
$21.99

<tbody>
</tbody>

Jeff Asbury