• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Emergency Tiller

Bill Robbins

Member II
Hi, I have an E-35(ll) with only a tiller.
I want to make an Emergency Tiller. I have considered several variations of bending 2.5 - 3" pipe that would bolt to where the existing tiller connects to the rudder post "cap".
I would appreciate any input.
Thanks!

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Emergency Tiller for a Tiller?

I would think that a tiller would not need an emergency steering system - as the primary consideration is making the most likely failure in the system redundant.

I guess if your existing tiller broke off it would be useful - but how likely is that to happen (it's pretty stout stuff, right)? What kind of emergency steering could you carry to address the other possible problems (like loss of the rudder)?

//sse

Tom Plummer

Member III
Were it I, I would carry a spair tiller. Mine is a wheel steered E35-2 and I have a tiller as well. Just in case. And yes Sean they do on occasion break.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I have the emergency tiller also - but that's because my wheeled steering is apt to fail at the cables, forcing steering from the rudder post (via the emergency tiller). In my case, the cables are the weakest link in the system, and the emergency tiller would address that.

If the tiller (the main method of steering) on his boat is apt to break, I would think you would want to rebuild it to provide a stronger tiller generally, as well as to provide something that is easy to replace - basically to have a "replacement" or "spare" tiller as opposed to an "emergency" one.

I've seen some of those tillers on the Has Christian boats - and if something built like that was breaking, I cannot help but wonder what conditions you would be in (massive weather helm?) to begin with. Would you not see a failure coming with a tiller (I mean since it's right there; as opposed to cables that you cannot see)?

Again, I have the wheeled steering - so perhaps I'm missing something... My $0.02 anyhow...

//sse

Bill Robbins

Member II
Thanks for all of your $0.02 worth.
After reading all the posts it became clear to me that what really bugs me is the existing tiller. I do not believe it is strong enough. While sailing down wind with 15 knots of wind and 10+ seas I have really had to pull (or push) the tiller to keep from rounding up. Part of this problem may come from too much canvas up, or perhaps a general feeling that the rudder itself is too small for the boat ( a good topic to discuss some day). Anyway, regardless of the cause of the strain, I need to build a new tiller that I have confidence in.
Funny how someone else can make the obvious absolutely clear.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tiller Effort

Originally posted by Bill Robbins
Thanks for all of your $0.02 worth.
After reading all the posts it became clear to me that what really bugs me is the existing tiller. I do not believe it is strong enough. While sailing down wind with 15 knots of wind and 10+ seas I have really had to pull (or push) the tiller to keep from rounding up. Part of this problem may come from too much canvas up, or perhaps a general feeling that the rudder itself is too small for the boat ( a good topic to discuss some day). Anyway, regardless of the cause of the strain, I need to build a new tiller that I have confidence in.
Funny how someone else can make the obvious absolutely clear.

This reminds of a comment from Steve Rander, builder/offshore racer, of Rage. I was asking him if he thought my boat's rudder wasn't a bit too small. He said that perceived problems of rudder size almost *always* mean the sails are not trimmed right! (Rage is the 70 footer built by his shop, Schooner Boat Works, in Portland, and is tiller steered...).
Of course any control problem that is exacerbated by hull form (llike the 70's Ericsons with a lot of IOR-influenced tuck-up in the stern sections) will get worse quickly off the wind in heavy air. Back to the question you came in with, perhaps a heavier, laminated tiller with a bit more length would help. Keep the original for a spare or backup. And, do keep that chute choked down in heavy air and/or get a narrow shoulder chute for those conditions.
Clear Air,
Loren
Portland, OR