• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27 Rating (PHRF)

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
i am just curious what other Ericson 27's rate out there? I believe the regional variation for the NW and California is 10%. I rate 241, and understand the standard rating to be 238.

Nigel

Seth

Sustaining Partner
27' and PHRF

Don't complain if you have 241-they rate a little faster in some areas, so enjoy the helpful rating, put a NICE bottom on the boat, make sure you at least 2-3 fresh sails, keep the weight in the right places and go kick some b--tt!

refugee

I have a 244 here in the PHRF NW. I think Nigel has the only faster E-27 in this particular fleet. I was told that my new asymmetric was 'small', so that may be why my boat doesn't get down to that theoretical 238.

This whole discussion set me to wondering: how would an E-27 have to be equipped / set up to be awarded a 238? Seems there ought to be a chart or discussion or something to show how that 238 was come by.

Nick Reynolds

Member II
E27 PHRF Rating - 256

I just received the PHRF rating for my E27 this spring, and received a 256. I had been looking at the various things on the internet, and had seen Nigel's 241, so have been discussing it with some of the folks I have sailed with over the last few weeks.

Until I saw Nigel's other post about jib size (the T-Track thread), I had assumed it was because I used the measurements of my 120% for the max headsail size on the application. I assumed that if I had used the 150% that the lower rating would have been given to me.

Now I don't know. If Nigel's largest sail when racing is a 100%, the PHRF folks were just off by miles when they assigned my rating.

But, I am not complaining about my rating, that's for sure!

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
Rating

This is what I understand about my rating...

Standard is 238 (definition of standard not clear)
I gain 9 seconds a mile for only racing with 100% jibs. (247)
I lose 3 seconds for having an oversized main (Code 5). (244)
I lose 3 seconds for having an oversized kite (Code 5) (241)

Grand total 241.

To make this more interesting, I just got rated for a code 6 main, so actually rate 238 when I use the bigger main.

Now, re. Nick's 256: I asked around, and this is what I came up with, (and Nick, you can answer some of this). The 256 is based on a small main and small kite. I would assume 9 seconds for each. It could well be an issue of an incorrect PHRF rating from your handicapper. I actually had my rating done a couple of times until we were satisfied that it was correct.

On another note, what happened? I saw you registered for Swiftsure, and was excited to see another Ericson 27 out racing... In fact, I think I saw your boat tied up in the inner harbor. We did see an Ericson 29 that was in our division, and saw them at the mark rounding in Clallam Bay, but that was it.

Nigel

SeaDart

I just got my rating here on Lake Lanier, GA. It came in at 228. I guess we'll see how it shakes out.

Kirk Jockell
"Tween'r"

kapnkd

kapnkd
E-27 PHRF ratings from across the country

i am just curious what other Ericson 27's rate out there? I believe the regional variation for the NW and California is 10%. I rate 241, and understand the standard rating to be 238.

Nigel

Seems there are lots of rating differences for the various areas. ...Here's a site that has ratings for ALL the boats
[h=3]history of us phrf® affiliated fleet handicaps 2017 - NC-PHRF[/h]
(The page with the Ericson 27 info is in Section 3, page 83)

Hope this helps you and others...
:)