• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Really? You only know one way to tie a bowline?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just spent half a hour transferring the stuff I don't know into a larger box.

For years I have been making a little sissy loop in a line every time I tie a bowline. Works fine for the end of a dockline you tie in in your lap.

But when, tying a preventer on a boom over your head, or passing a line around a pier , that little loop is awkward.

Why? Because to my surprise, that ain't the right way to do it.

But then, you knew that already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozskWrDM-F4

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Actually, Rick, after watching that video I discovered that I'm only a *Cub Scout*. Perhaps with further training I'll someday make it to "Boy Scout.":rolleyes:

Me too Alan...lol! I've been doing the "scout" method and have always found it required reciting the rabbit mantra.

Bungo Pete

Hello Everyone.
New to this website as I am actively considering an Ericson 27 as a first big boat. Perhaps this is not the best topic for a first post, but I thought I'd provide some personal insight. I spent 4 years at a Maritime Academy and our basic seamanship teacher was a WWII vet who was absolutely adamant that there would be absolutely no "out of the hole, around the tree...." crap at this school. As you might imagine, his choice of words was different. We learned the crossover method and ONLY this method and also had to be proficient in tying it in the dark and as an added bonus, behind our backs. His reasoning was very simple - if you do not make the loop properly (over vs. under), the knot will not be correct and will not hold. I have never forgotten this and have never made a bad bowline.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome to the site, Pete.

Wish you had gotten here earlier, it took me way too long to figure out how to tie a bowline.

Bungo Pete

Thanks, glad to be aboard.
I forgot to mention that his reasoning also included the fact that when you do screw up making the "hole" it will always be at the most inopportune moment.