• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

new sailor and new boat

MusicMrfixit

Just purchased an Ericson 26' 1968 sailboat and it is berthed in mission bay san diego. We live in Santa Barbara and are planning on sailing it up this weekend. It has good sails, is bone dry in the bilge, no leaks, good standing rigging, but only has a very unreliable Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke outboard motor (a lawn mower engine air cooled). Does anyone know how long it will take to go from san diego to santa barbara, how many stops along the way should I make, and where can I stop for the night? I could use another mate to help sail her up as I have never sailed long distance before in pacific waters (I used to sail a 25' Rhodes in Miami a long time ago, but gulf stream waters aren't like they are out here in the pacific). My wife is going but she has never sailed before so she is a little nervous. Do I really need a motor? Can I get one to borrow to get her to her destination and then have the B&G worked on once we get to SB? I bought the boat for only $230, but It's a really good boat. Any help would be appreciated.

John Denlinger

Heading to SB from SD

You are a brave man and I give you credit. Certainly you purchased a sailboat boat unless you want to make a real adventure out of delivery I/d suggest a motor especially for getting in and out of marinas. Maybe rent a reliable Honda in SB. Of course then you'll need tank and fuel. Biggest issue might be no or light wind vs too much. I went from MDR to SB and motored about 80% of the time. Made a stop in Channel Islands.

e38 owner

Member III
Seems like quite an undertaking

Although most of the time the weather in so cal is calm. This sounds like quite an undertaking
I have sailed for years and your situtation would worry me.

It is windy as you get farther North
Santa Anas are possible

It is upwind thus 20 miles per day may be generous
4 knots for 8 hours is only 24 miles

Do you have a route.
How far off shore is prudent
safety equipment is a must
good motor
flares
liferaft?
Vhf a must
GPs a must
Charts required
Life jackets

John Denlinger

All great questions

Great questions

Although most of the time the weather in so cal is calm. This sounds like quite an undertaking
I have sailed for years and your situtation would worry me.

It is windy as you get farther North
Santa Anas are possible

It is upwind thus 20 miles per day may be generous
4 knots for 8 hours is only 24 miles

Do you have a route.
How far off shore is prudent
safety equipment is a must
good motor
flares
liferaft?
Vhf a must
GPs a must
Charts required
Life jackets

John Denlinger

Thought of Trucking?

You know for a boat that size and the trip, it might be worth looking into trucking her. Just await a truck with additional space so you pay less. Also would get the rig down for a check out

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Just purchased an Ericson 26' 1968 sailboat and it is berthed in mission bay san diego. We live in Santa Barbara and are planning on sailing it up this weekend. It has good sails, is bone dry in the bilge, no leaks, good standing rigging, but only has a very unreliable Briggs and Stratton 4 stroke outboard motor (a lawn mower engine air cooled). Does anyone know how long it will take to go from san diego to santa barbara, how many stops along the way should I make, and where can I stop for the night? I could use another mate to help sail her up as I have never sailed long distance before in pacific waters (I used to sail a 25' Rhodes in Miami a long time ago, but gulf stream waters aren't like they are out here in the pacific). My wife is going but she has never sailed before so she is a little nervous. Do I really need a motor? Can I get one to borrow to get her to her destination and then have the B&G worked on once we get to SB? I bought the boat for only $230, but It's a really good boat. Any help would be appreciated.
It sounds like you might want to find someone with a bit of experience to join you for the trip.

Generally speaking: I'd have no hesitation doing such a trip in an Ericson 26 per se, assuming the boat to be in good shape. One negative is that you don't really know the boat since you just bought it. It would clearly be better if you could sail it a while first and discover any issues before you set out on this trip; that would surely be preferable. And you definitely need to have a reliable engine, since it's likely you'll be motoring a good deal of the way. (With the prevailing winds you are typically going into the wind on your particular route.)

You almost certainly will not encounter Santa Anas this time of year, so I would not worry about that. But ugly weather is always possible. Do watch the weather and pick your window appropriately.

The run from SD to SB is no big deal, especially because there are so many places to stop along the way. Figure on harbor hopping and picking up a guest slip or anchoring. I have done this quite a few times over the years, including on boats smaller than yours (e.g., a Cal 25).

Here's a suggested itinerary, which is pretty leisurely:

SD to Oceanside (Get a guest slip.)

Oceanside to Dana Point (Anchor or guest slip)

Dana Point to Long Beach. (Anchor off of Oil Island White or get a guest slip. As an alternative to Long Beach you could go about 6 miles further west and anchor off of Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro.)

Now, from San Pedro/Long Beach to Santa Barbara you'll have some choices to make. If you're comfortable anchoring you could anchor in Paradise Cove (off of Malibu) and then make an early morning run around Pt. Dume to Channel Islands Harbor, spend the night there, and then go from Channel Islands Harbor to SB the following day. One route I've done several times is San Pedro to Isthmus Cove (Catalina); then Isthmus Cove to Santa Barbara Island (20 mi. due west of Catalina); then Santa Barbara Island to the east end of Santa Cruz Island; then Santa Cruz Island to SB. I've found the holding at SB Island to be kinda iffy, so be especially vigilant there.

Again, pick your weather and don't do this with your currently balky engine. And be sure to carry enough fuel, as you may find it necessary to run that motor more than you think.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You need to make several shakedown sails in good wind before attempting this delivery.

Better, hire a delivery skipper to come along (when he is satisfied with preparations).

I very strongly suggest not making this your wife's first sail.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
>I very strongly suggest not making this your wife's first sail.

Very good point!

fool

Member III
New sailor, new boat...

...out of curiosity, what are you going to do with the boat once you make landfall in SB? Do you have a mooring or slip to move it into?

Another proposition is to leave the vessel where it is (assuming it is secure) and commute by train down to SD for a few weekends to get your bearings while aboard, and to attend to the a.) motor, b.) as much safety gear as you can manage, c.) navigation skills, and d.) everything else recommended above, such as food, water, and...accommodations. If you can't drink it, don't flush it is the prevailing theme in most coastal refuges.

If you have to move it, perhaps a ball in SD Harbor (or guest slip) might be a better trial initially. Sailing in SD Bay is a blast on a boat this size with plenty to see while you get to keep your feet relatively dry, and taste test the salt of things to come. And it is closer to the amtrak station.

The fastest you'll be able to sail at hull speed is about 6 knots, but figure a good jog instead. How fast can you jog to SB? A displacement vessel won't move faster than hull speed, and your yacht is a displacement vessel.

With an operable motor you'll make better time motor sailing against prevailing winds and currents. Going south is easier if you want to sail. Going to Hawaii first might be easier if you want to sail north but will take longer... ask Christian on the forum, or search for his single handed voyage from LA to HI and back to LA on the forum. Otherwise you'd better attend to that motor. How fast can you jog to HI and back? Christian knows...

NOAA has good information about sea conditions and winds. http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS56.KLOX.html

Brian Fagan has some good books about the Southern California Coast and Channel Islands http://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Guide-California-Channel-Islands/dp/093003032X

The 7th district coastal pilot is available by download in pdf from http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/coastpilot_w.php?book=7

And there are plenty of sources for free charts in pdf format also.

The USCG aux offers Coastal Navigation and Sailing & Seamanship classes for a nominal fee. They'll even inspect your vessel for basic safety supplies for free. http://cgaux.org/vsc/

They also have released a smart phone app that will allow you to call for help if needed, and is loaded with tons of basic information about safety and being on the sea. http://www.uscg.mil/mobile/

Personally, from San Diego I'd head to Avalon and perhaps Two Harbors (to spend a long weekend a guest of Catalina Island); the cattle boats will take you back to the mainland. > Long Beach or San Pedro (26 miles across the sea, Santa Catalina is away from me...), and another train station 26 / 6 = hours of hull speed if motor sailing?> Tacking back out towards one of the Channel Islands, like a big stretch toward Santa Cruz (bring ice and gas... you can sail without gas, but you cannot sail without ice) > Channel Islands Harbor for a guest slip and fish dinner > Easy day to Ventura Harbor for a guest slip and a beer to wash down the fish dinner> And onto SB Harbor for...an opportunity to say "what happened on the boat, stays on the boat."

You'd be crossing shipping lanes a couple of times... how's that motor doing?

Go! Have your adventure as soon as you can. Enjoy your Ericson as they're terrific boats to sail and very forgiving. And be safe along the way. I guess that makes safety third, not the best nautical advice, but what happens on the boat stays on the boat...

T.

September Sun
Ericson 35 MkIII
Channel Islands Harbor
ERY35240D686

Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author

Dude, this scenario you are describing gives me the willies. Going up the coast is not usually a big deal if you have a properly prepared boat and can read a chart. Setting off in a new-to-you little boat with a sketchy outboard and non-sailing crew is just asking for trouble. I hate outboards in general, but especially the older antique variety that may or may not start. I strongly suggest you borrow or buy something decent before setting off. Get someone with experience to help you prep the boat and go with you on the trip. I would not bring the wife if she is a non sailor on this trip. She's already nervous about it, and with good reason!

Martin

Glyn Judson

SD to SB passage.

Dear friend, Marty and others are spot on with good advise that I suggest you follow. I'd emphasize one more thing that John already stated, to explore the cost of having your new boat trucked up. After all, you paid chump change for for the boat and are farther ahead of the game than most others investment-wise already. Bite the bullet and get her up there in a day or two on the back of a boat hauler. Not only do we have a sturdy inflatable dinghy but every time we go to Catalina Island from Marina del Rey and back, it's in the water, towed behind and ready to jump into should something unforeseen happen. At the least if you make it up the coast in the boat, it's mandatory that you have a reliable outboard of sufficient power, more fuel than you'll need, safety flares, GPS, VHF-FM radio AND a plan B boat (a dinghy). We also carry an abandon ship module made up of a two foot length of 6" PVC irrigation pipe, capped at one end and fitted with a threaded cap on the other. It contains an EPIRB in addition to the one we already have on the boat, a handheld VHF-FM radio, water, dried food, signal flares, signal mirror, Mylar survival (space) blankets, sun screen and other items I can't recall. It has a Nylon cleat on the end of the removable cap secured with stainless steel hardware and 25 feet of floating polypropylene line secured to it with a light, yet heavy duty plastic shackle on the other end so the module can be tossed into the dinghy and secured to prevent it from floating away, and it will if given half a chance. You know what? At the end of the day, have her trucked up the coast. Keep in touch and let us all know what you decide. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA