• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Buy an E28 in Yucatan?

sierradave

Hello all. I hope there are some folks browsing this Forum! I'm in Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico (due south of New Orleans) and looking at an E28. We don't yet know the year or other details, or even if it's for sale, but using the axiom that "Every boat is always for sale," the fact that this one hasn't been moved from its slip in at least a year, and that the owner is 77, makes it look like a good bet. (She is also a Mexico-registered boat, which makes things hugely easier/less expensive since we are Permanent Residents here.)

So my question is, how would this boat work for a Caribbean cruise? We'd make hops along the northern Yucatan coast, then across the channel to Cuba (making sure we're all nice and legal to visit) and then onward, bouncing between islands for perhaps six months or so.

Experience up to now: 7 years sailing in San Francisco, a few trips down the coast, lived on a Hunter 410 for 3 years. Closest boat to the E28 that we've owned is a Bombay Clipper 31, a fat, heavy, wonderful boat we called "the Buick of the Bay." Before taking off on this trip, we would certainly sail her a lot here in the Gulf off of Progreso.

Any thoughts? Would enjoy connecting with any of you around the Gulf!

IMGP2711.jpg

Last edited:
look carefully ........

I don't think the boat "Neptuno" in your picture is an Ericson. This boat does not have several of the design elements of the Ericson lines, and in fact has elements that were not normally on Ericsons such as the perforated aluminum toerail and the plastic portlight. Check the hull number molded into the transom - usu. the upper right corner. The first 3 characters should identify the builder. Ericson is "ERY".

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Could it possibly be something like an Olson 911? I haven't seen enough of them to know...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Could it possibly be something like an Olson 911? I haven't seen enough of them to know...

Nope.

It does sort of look like an 80's Columbia - too hard to say without a look at the transom.
That molded "eye brow" on the cabin was an O'Day style feature, IIRC.
????
Loren

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Yup, a Columbia 8.3, 27" 2". I nice boat, but not an Ericson. I had an 8.7 before I bought Xanthus.

sierradave

Bingo.

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to listen to the guy at the marina who's supposed to know these things...
Tom has it right, it's a Columbia 27! And turns out the guy does not want to sell it. :-(

SO we've continued looking around, this time at Florida boats that we could bring over here to MX. (We've been doing all our homework about what that involves doing either a TIP or nationalizing it.) There's an Island Packet 31 that looks very nice.

Anyway, thank you all! Good to see such an active group of Ericson owners!

--Dave

Yup, a Columbia 8.3, 27" 2". I nice boat, but not an Ericson. I had an 8.7 before I bought Xanthus.