• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What a mess...

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
An outrage, and I hope it wakes up SB like an alarm clock. Company failed to inspect and maintain their pipeline, inexcusable after all we've been through.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
We feel your pain

When the Deepwater Horizon blew up, we all got to watch a live feed of millions of gallons of poison being spewed into our pristine Gulf waters. We've sort of recovered.

You wouldn't believe the law-suit commercials still on local TV in Mobile and Pensacola . "If you are a recreational fisherman who could not fish during the BP Oil Spill, you could receive a cash reward!"

Hang in there and pray!

Rick

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
An outrage, and I hope it wakes up SB like an alarm clock. Company failed to inspect and maintain their pipeline, inexcusable after all we've been through.

According to the L.A. Times, the company had inspected the pipeline as little a 2 weeks prior to the spill. They must have checked to make sure the bubblegum was still in place. They sure couldn't have done any sort of thorough inspection and had it fail that soon after with no seismic activity.

It really pi**es me off. We love El Capitan Beach campground.:mad:

Vagabond39

Member III
Pipeline Leaks

<><>
On average there is more than one pipeline leak every day.
Those gas pipelines tend to be more spectacular, as they go boom.
The relitively minor Embridge leak into the Kalamazoo River river was Tar Sands Oil. That took over four years to remediate, and cost over $1 Billion Dollars.
But hey.
Pipelines are forever. Set it and forget it. Never need maintenance.
Bob

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Politics

Please! Please! Please! Let's keep politics out of this forum. If you have comments on how the aforementioned event has directly affected Ericson sailors I'd love to hear it. This forum is one of my few refuges from what passes for political dialogue in this country. There are plenty of political forums for you to express your beliefs. Don't pollute this forum. Rant over.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I agree in general on party politics, Al, but this isn't that: it's the SoCal Regional forum, our beaches were defiled and closed by a pipeline breach.

John Denlinger

My Bad.

Please! Please! Please! Let's keep politics out of this forum. If you have comments on how the aforementioned event has directly affected Ericson sailors I'd love to hear it. This forum is one of my few refuges from what passes for political dialogue in this country. There are plenty of political forums for you to express your beliefs. Don't pollute this forum. Rant over.

Sorry for the comment. Hard to see the defiling of our sailing area.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
My concerns

Everyone, we unfortunately live in a political age where scoring points is much more important than actually solving complex problems. There are plenty of active political sites for folks to engage in whatever style of repartee they choose. Energy supply, source, distribution, consumption and the consequences of our choices economically and environmentally are challenging issues for all of us. I just don't want this forum becoming an avenue for over simplification and political sniping devoid of substantive facts. I beg your pardon if I wrongly construed some comments which were made. Through private messaging I've discussed this with Christian.

John Denlinger

You are correct

Nope, you were totally correct. This is...thank goodness...not Facebook or Twitter.

Everyone, we unfortunately live in a political age where scoring points is much more important than actually solving complex problems. There are plenty of active political sites for folks to engage in whatever style of repartee they choose. Energy supply, source, distribution, consumption and the consequences of our choices economically and environmentally are challenging issues for all of us. I just don't want this forum becoming an avenue for over simplification and political sniping devoid of substantive facts. I beg your pardon if I wrongly construed some comments which were made. Through private messaging I've discussed this with Christian.

Vagabond39

Member III
Political

Oil, Pipelines, and the Enviroment are all very political. To not sound political, one must say nothing. And that to is a political statement.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
a practical question

Oil, Pipelines, and the Enviroment are all very political. To not sound political, one must say nothing. And that to is a political statement.

Actually, what I find myself wondering is just HOW they actually inspect a pipeline deep under the sea. A diver would be looking a critter and plant encrusted shape in low visibility. Is there some sort of scanning device that he/she would carry and aim at sections of it?
:confused:

The whole concept just sounds .... unworkable....
:nerd:

Loren

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Loren,

This particular pipeline was on terra firma. The rupture allowed the oil to run down a culvert and into the sea.

They have a device they call a pig (?) which travels through the pipe and allows visualization of the interior of the pipe. How they expect to see a flaw in a crude oil, muck encrusted pipe is beyond me, and possibly beyond that company, also.

They also have a way to measure the wall thickness. I am guessing they measure the nominal outer diameter and subtract the I.D. I think the measurements taken during the most recent company inspection differs from what the government investigators are finding. Somebody needs th explain that disconnect.

The process does sound unworkable!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Apparently there is a pressure monitor designed to shut down flow when pressure drops, and that wasn;t working (and the device was giving too many false positives to be reliable).

The rupture spewed 100,000 gallons before they turned off the flow.

Disgusting.