• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

anyone ???? did some long distance with an e 29

timoteo

Member II
anyone out there did or is planning a long distance with an e 29.....
as yes , what should i look for to replace or upgrade in the first place, ......
thanx
tim

Seth

Sustaining Partner
LD in a 29

Some of the first items to look at for serious offshore (you did not mention what you mean by LD) are:
1). Cockpit drains. Increase through hull and hose diameter. The drains need to empty a full cockpit in about 90 seconds IIRC, according to ORC guidlines (*which are very good as a basis). This is very important offshore.
2). Hatchboards. Make a 1 piece board of something VERY solid (thick plexiglass or an alum. sandwich with plywood on each side, with a secure way to lock it in place. This is your heavy air set up.
3.). Hatchboard runners. Make up some doublers to make sure a wave that does not break the hatchboard can't then push into the cabin. I bolted 3" alum. runners on the inside of the companionway to keep the hatchboard from blowing into the cabin
4). Devise a way to lock the sliding hatch from the inside-same reason as above.

Then, make sure your shrouds and all rigging are in top shape-look closely at chainplates, bulkheads and mast step for cracks, damage, or corrosion.

Do NOT go offshore with tired old sails-your life may depend on them-make sure you have a quick and efficient reefing system, and finally make sure you have a good, heavy air headsail that will sheet close enough to get you off a lee shore in a gale if the motor quits.

Obvioulsy make sure you have good batteries and a very good charging system-you will likely run the engine about an hour for every 12 hours to keep the systems working-more if you have a microwave or SSB. Consider a solar trickle charger.

Get an oversized autopilot.

Optional is a watermaker. Can be a HUGE help and keeps you from having to carry so much water in the tanks-weight slows you down, and you can convert the capacity to fuel.

Talk to me directly about a minimum sail inventory. You want the fewest sails to give the widest coverage. Space is at a premium, and lugging sails you don't use is a waste of space.

If you have any money left you can buy me a beer!

Good sailing!

timoteo

Member II
:egrin: thanx so much for your advice, if you around in WA , i' ll by u a beer before all this,

thanx again
tim

soup1438

Member II
Seattle to NYC?

OK, so a run like that *is* a long distance run down the west coast (which, IIRC, means that you've got the current on your side, don't you?) but then I'm assuming you're gonna look at a canal crossing.

I'm a neophyte here; I've got "book" knowledge FWIW but my actual sailing is pretty limited (even with a nice E25) and perhaps further limited by my "crew"; this trip of his sounds, at first gasp, to be a simple "coastal cruise" but a lot of the shoreline he's hoping to get past seems, from the maps, photos, etc, to be brutal in all but some minimal spots. (All right, so Florida's west coast is a little bit less stressful... when you run aground it's usually mud or sand. I've gotten pretty good at running aground and then managing to get back off... but I'd hate to face a rocky bottom.)

Needless to say... a story (backed up with a photo diary) would be nice. (My son is a photo lab manager and one fellow brought in a bunch of film rolls for processing; a delivery of a sailboat from Tampa/StPete to the Cheseapeake. He tells me he oooohed and aaaahed for the captain who did the delivery.)