• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What's this t-track for ?

Sven

Seglare
Ok, I'm stumped ...

I can't figure out what the t-track in this image is for. Yes, it is right up against the companion way hatch. I can't imagine sheeting any jib as tight as this track would allow.

Any suggestions or insights ?

PS Bob, you can see the quite worn teak handrail we discussed a few months ago. It actually accentuates the beautiful lines of the boat, but is in need of replacement.

-Sven

Attachments

• t-track.jpg
    t-track.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 556

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
Mystery track

Well I know that the boat in reference is an Ericson 23. I have an Ericson 27, and could not help but notice how similarly placed the track was on the 23 to the track I added to my 27. The reason for this is that when racing, the largest headsail I carry is a #3 (100% jib). In looking at the picture, I can't see where the mast is, but it could be for sheeting a jib? I have attached a picture of my boat, pre some changes, but you can sort of see the jib tracks nears the forward hatch.

Nigel

Attachments

• e27.jpg
    e27.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 553

Sven

Seglare
Hi Nigel,

If the tracks weren't so close to the centerline I'd think you were right. What makes me doubt it is that the tracks are probably just over a foot from the centerline all the way back at the companionway hatch. My guess would be that the centerline-to-sail angle with my tracks would be almost half of what it is with your setup.

Maybe you are still right, but it sure seems odd to me. I do have to admit that I have no better suggestion.

-Sven

Seth

Sustaining Partner
T Track and furling

That track is not a factory installation. It is too far aft and inboard for a normal #3, but it may have been an attempt at an inboard lead for a high clewed, very small (#3 or #4) headsail. It also is very similar to the tracks often fitted on the 35-2's for a genoa staysail when using a double head rig. If you boat has a staysail and/or a large high clewed Genoa that would be possible.
The reality is it is probably a mistake by the previous owner (I assume it is on both sides, right?). It is not really functional for any sails you are likely to use.

The furler you see is an old Schaefer furler-you are correct.

Best of luck!
S

ref_123

Member III
2 cents...

Two options for 2 cents:

1) Storm jib;
2) Working jib to fly it "under" the spinnaker.

But of course, I can (and most probably, I am) wrong.

Bill Sanborn

Member III
From the photo it looks like your chainplates are near the hull as on many Ericsons.

Could this be for a Barber Haul? A block mounted on this track with a line running to the jib sheet, not the clew, could be used to pull the jib sheet nearer to the centerline and narrow the sheeting angle.

Is this t-track on both sides of the boat?

Sven

Seglare
Originally posted by Bill Sanborn
From the photo it looks like your chainplates are near the hull as on many Ericsons.

Could this be for a Barber Haul? A block mounted on this track with a line running to the jib sheet, not the clew, could be used to pull the jib sheet nearer to the centerline and narrow the sheeting angle.

Is this t-track on both sides of the boat?

Interesting suggestion !

Yes, the track is on both sides. I don't know if you are right but certainly don't see any reason why your suggestion would be wrong even if the PO didn't install the tracks for that reason.

-Sven

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Vang?

Nope. Vangs generallly attach on centerlineiether at the base of the mast or on deck just aft of the mast.

soup1438

Member II
Vangs? Preventers?

I equated vang to preventer-- and I've seen a photo somewhere of a preventer secured to the base of a lifeline (stanchion?).

I suspect it's named for the job it's doing... (just like my explaining to wife/kids that a rope isn't "just a rope", it's either a sheet, yard, line, rode... based on *function*).

rehammond

This track thing has been simmering in my head for a while. I finally found my old copy of Marchaj's work "Sailing Theory and Practice". Even at it's age it still makes sense of the math of sails and sailing. In fact he points out its not so important to reduce the angle as it is to keep the slot "correct" for the headsail/mainsail combo in use. The idea of those tracks being for a barberhaul seems the most likely. He goes further to say sheeting as wide as the hull will allow but working at keeping all twist out of the jib is preferable. Flat is good and wide will allow both sails to power up. Narrow sheeting is usually used if one subscribes to the venturi effect of the slot. Both designs seem to have been employed on all types of yachts over the last century. This all has taught me more about sails and sailing even after 40 years on the water. Thanks.

Bob
E27 s/v Sur Le Vent