• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cockpit Coaming Cubby

sailorman

Member II
Have to replace the cockpit coaming cubby section-deteriorated plywood sole section both port and starboard on my
1974 Ericson 35 mk 2. Can anybody tell me the best way to tackle this job ?????

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
Have to replace the cockpit coaming cubby section-deteriorated plywood sole section both port and starboard on my
1974 Ericson 35 mk 2. Can anybody tell me the best way to tackle this job ?????

A few years back we had to do the same on our '73 E-32 mkII.
We dug out as much of the bad wood as possible and then poured resin into the compartment to try and level it out as much as possible. We then came back with some matt and more resin.

So far, so good. (Not sure as to the extent of your wood's deterioration - ours was not all that bad at the time.)

sailorman

Member II
A few years back we had to do the same on our '73 E-32 mkII.
We dug out as much of the bad wood as possible and then poured resin into the compartment to try and level it out as much as possible. We then came back with some matt and more resin.

So far, so good. (Not sure as to the extent of your wood's deterioration - ours was not all that bad at the time.)

The wood is beyond resin it should be replaced. So I guess the combing will have to come off first,remove the old plywood cubby sole and replace with new plywood coated with resin. Question is ???? Is that the best way ?

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Obviously you can go down that path but my guess will be that once you take those sideboards off that you'll want to refabricate them rather than reinstall them...turning this into kind of a big project.

You might be surprised with the decent finish you can get with some epoxy cloth and resin in there.