• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Onboard My Ericson

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Here's a new idea. Post while onboard your Ericson while sailing, tied up or anchored. :0

We are tied fast after delightful sail in 20+ knot winds. It is still blowing 23 knots at the dock. We are awaiting the Mardi Gras parade in the morning. It is 53 degrees.

Had a neighbor with a Sabre 34 say our E-boat was the nicest monohull at our marina.

Not bad for a 26 year old boat.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Rick,
I had our boat out for a good sail yesterday to re-tune the rig. Had her going 7.5 knots in 20 knot winds with a reef in the main and slightly furled headsail-- not bad for a 1984 E30+. I slept aboard last night and am just enjoying morning coffee aboard on Vancouver Island.
Frank

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Here's a new idea. Post while onboard your Ericson while sailing, tied up or anchored.

I used to tell people that the reason I sailed was "No phone, no TV". I suppose I should have added "no computer", but back then it wasn't a concern.

My son told me he sold his boat because two kids under three took the fun out of it. I suspect the real reason was that he found that he couldn't both steer and grind the winches while texting. The times they are a-changin', as Bob used to say. :rolleyes:

fool

Member III
From Channel Islands Harbor

Beautiful day of sailing, 10 - 12 knot winds, seas 2 to 4' at 12 seconds. Set out toward "Gina" and on to Anacapa Island keeping a look out for whales. A couple of sea lions, and a few dozen dolphins, the square masted Lady Washington under a full set of sails, all in all a pretty good day on the pond. AT&T keeps me plugged in via wireless modem, although 5 mb a month ain't much in the tellin'. Seems a nice app these days would do better, glad to have what I can get without having leave the boat for Starbucks and free wifi in half hour doses. What would I do without the fabulous resources and personalities at EricsonYachts.org?

September Sun
Ericson 35 MkIII hull #240
Channel Islands Harbor

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Completes our one stop circumnavigation of Bainbridge Island today. Finished it off with a nice 15-20 knot downwind sail down the east side of the island. Sunny and high 50s in February!

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 443

Dreadpiratk

I just wanted to say y'all are cruel cruel people. I took a walk around our marina today, and I mean all around the channel and out into the lake, given it's under about 18" of ice. -20 degrees here this morning, warming up to a balmy 3 this afternoon. All I can do is surf sailing websites and dream of a spring that seems very far off. Grrrrrrr! Why do I live in the frozen north?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It is difficult here, too. When sailing in February, you never know whether to wear a sweater or a bikini top.

If you take the grandchildren skiing at Mammoth Mountain in the eastern Sierras, why, it is likely to be 70 degrees there, too, and they complain of perspiration.

Of course, at the 11,500-foot summit, the snow is perfect, but that is a ten-minute gondola ride up.

And then of course you have to drive 4 1/2 hours back to Los Angeles to get any surfing in at all.

There is no perfect place to live.

Attachments

• gang mammoth 2015.jpg
    gang mammoth 2015.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 416

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
It is difficult here, too. When sailing in February, you never know whether to wear a sweater or a bikini top.

Christian - Do you have any pix of yourself sailing while wearing a bikini top? Just asking, PLEASE do not post.

Trying to save storage space, don'tcha know?

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Christian - Do you have any pix of yourself sailing while wearing a bikini top? Just asking, PLEASE do not post.

Trying to save storage space, don'tcha know?

Tom, I think there are outtakes from the Hawaii trip where Christian is dancing to Cole Porter's "Just One of Those Things" on the cabin top with a Speedo on. I heard it is in the Pay Per View section of EYO.....:0

And while we're at it, I had to resort to riding my dirtbike because the yard is doing our fiberglass work on the windlass install.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 416

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I heard it is in the Pay Per View section of EYO..

Yup, that's why I have the premium membership.

I assume the admiral lets you ride all around that fenced in enclosure behind the bike. :unsure:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Yup, that's why I have the premium membership.

I assume the admiral lets you ride all around that fenced in enclosure behind the bike. :unsure:

Crazy thing is those cages are all over the 600 sq miles of Eglin AFB reservation. These
hunters down here use dogs to flush out the deer.

oceanbrew

Outward Bound - Dames Point Bridge, St. Johns River, Jacksonville, Florida

IMG_0261.jpg I was on my way...Sailed from Jacksonville, Florida to St. Augustine, Florida with a fellow sailor from the marina. I was still on the St. Johns so I didn't put the jib up...til we were offshore.

fool

Member III
Back on the boat...

...after an hour and a half in traffic for a 20 mile drive. I should know better than to leave work at 17: 00. The consolation prize is settling in to a glass of Chelada at 7 bells past 16: 00. Makes the thumpa bumpa diesel of the fishing boats coming in to offload sea urchins sound like music. Not quite the same as the ratta, ring, ding on the top of the tea kettle, but like Christian said...there is no perfect place to live.

(Unless perhaps if your commute is by boat.)

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I was out on one of my E29s today, had a great time climbed the ladder on the trailer and measured a couple of things then hurried back inside to thaw my @$$.

oceanbrew

Post with pics please

I think the original post mentioned sending pics of you on your boat doing stuff! I don't see many pics.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
From Saturday just as the winds were going from 8.5 to 21 knots sustained. He reached 7.3 knots on a broad reach with a reefed main and jib.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 214

markvone

Sustaining Member
Taking advantage of the winter months

Presidents Day off working on the boat. I'm working on repairing sections of the sole damaged by water from the mast. Finished a complete rebuild of the head, hoses and holding tank in January.
IMG_1411.jpg

I'm on board 2-3 days a week throughout the winter (December - mid March) restoring something that's 34 years old or fixing something that's broken. This is my fourth winter in the water in Annapolis doing projects. It's been really nice to have 3-4 months to work on big projects continuously without having to put things back together. Another winter or two and I'll be caught up and wishing I was sailing.

The down side is I'm not sailing. Here is outside:

IMG_1408.jpg
Temp at 6am 7 degrees F. Tide 2 feet lower than normal. Creek frozen, but not thick enough to support a person. Dock and deck covered in snow. Nobody around to hear me scream for help.

Mark