• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Raising the boom

Sven

Seglare
Looking for insights ...

We've now had La Petite long enough to appreciate her sailing prowess even under her current crummy sail inventory.

For those who weren't reading at the time, La Petite is a fin keel E23-MKII and the main is about a foot short in the foot, in addition to being quite old. The grass stained roller furling genoa is from a J24 and probably on the order of 150-160%. With that canvas La Petite has still set some really good speed records for the logbook.

When we upgrade the main I'm seriously considering raising the boom 6" to a foot. Going to windward that would correspond to just about 3-4% of the luff. With two full length battens and a large roach the overall sail area downwind would be pretty much what it is right now.

The reason for raising the boom is that it would let me install a small dodger to cover the companionway for the rainy season. A dodger under the current boom height would be pretty impractical.

So, while I've pretty much made up my mind and considerde all the implications I can think of, I'd still like to see if someone has any additional thoughts that I should bear in mind ? Seth, I'm sure you have some wisdom to add to the brew.

Two parameters to bear in mind: One, we cruise and don't race. Two, we are not looking for resale value.

Thanks,

-Sven

SingPilot

E23's

Sven;

There are 2 E23's here in King Harbor, almost right next to each other. One has a dodger on it. You might sneak down and take a look at them. One belongs to a woman that sails the U-no-What out of it, and the other belongs to a guy I see on it a lot in the slip. It's his that has the dodger.

They are in the KHYC slips at the extreme west end of the harbor.

I am at the exact opposite end, in front of Joe's Crab Shack.

Good Luck.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Boom, boom, boom

I am embarassed to say I can't remember if you have a fixed or s;iding gooseneck.
If it is sliding, then this is the easiest thing in the world for a sailmaker.
If not, you will have to re-install the gooseneck. Not that big a deal, but obviously more work.

On the boat/performance issue, it certainly won't kill the boat, and you will pick up some simply by going all the way to the top of the mast (I think you have a black band a few inches below full hoist that the sail is cut for).

Again, no biggie, and you are correct, we can build a big roach which will make a BIG difference (I would have suggested that anyway).

Bottom line, go for it. I will send you a private email with more info!
S

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Sven, If you do go to look at the E23 with the dodger could you take a picture and post it here? Been thinking about a dodger myself (got pretty wet the other day!).

Thanks, Mark

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Rain Drops Keep Fallin' on my Head"... Not!

We put a hatch-width dodger on our boat just to keep the rain out with the slider open on wet days.
Really made the boat a lot more enjoyable, and we can live with the loss of one nano-knot of speed going to weather.....
:)

You can see it in the picture in the splash screen... just keep clicking the refresh button on your browser.....
:D

Best,

Loren

Sven

Seglare
Re: E23's

Originally posted by SingPilot
Sven;

There are 2 E23's here in King Harbor, almost right next to each other. One has a dodger on it. You might sneak down and take a look at them.

Great info ! If I drive down there will the dock master let one in to just look ? I'd sail there but there is nowhere to dock :-/ At 23' we don't carry a dingy :)

Thanks for the lead.

Yes, I'll be happy to take pictures if I can.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Re: "Rain Drops Keep Fallin' on my Head"... Not!

Hi Loren,

Originally posted by Loren Beach

You can see it in the picture in the splash screen... just keep clicking the refresh button on your browser.....
:D

I kept clicking, and clicking ...

You mean the rotating images on the home page, right ?

Maybe I just had an unlucky streak but it seemed as if I saw every other image 3-4 times :)

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here ya go...

Actually, the photo that is in the big bunch of rotating Ericson shots in the splash screen for this site is a shot from a bit further away.
Here is a closeup, 2 views.
Loren in PDX, Olson 34 #8

Attachments

• dodgertwoviews.jpg
    dodgertwoviews.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 271

SingPilot

If you are driving, go like you're going to KHYC. Sweet talk the parking lot guy if on a weekend to let you go to the Yacht club lot. The two 23's are on the seawall slips about 15 slips from the YC right alongside the roadway. You'll see them.

If I get over there again, I'll take a pic.

Michael.

Sven

Seglare
Re: Here ya go...

Originally posted by Loren Beach
Actually, the photo that is in the big bunch of rotating Ericson shots in the splash screen for this site is a shot from a bit further away.
Here is a closeup, 2 views.
Loren in PDX, Olson 34 #8

Ah, nice setup.

How does it effect the halyard winches ? Do you just ratchet them or take down the dodger when you get ready to head out ?

Thanks for posting the pictures !

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Originally posted by SingPilot
If you are driving, go like you're going to KHYC. Sweet talk the parking lot guy if on a weekend to let you go to the Yacht club lot. The two 23's are on the seawall slips about 15 slips from the YC right alongside the roadway. You'll see them.

If I get over there again, I'll take a pic.

Michael.

Thanks for the offer. It will be a few weeks before we'd get down to King Harbor. We plan to try to shed the office manacles this Friday and cross over to two harbors for a day. I think this is the 4th or 5th time we've planned it - twice we got weathered out, 3 times we got meetinged out. This time we'll get away ... ?

It really will help to see how someone else did it (installed a dodger on a 23) so your lead is really appreciated.

Thanks,

-Sven

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Room to turn the handle.....?

I ratchet the winch action.
With 180 deg. of handle rotation it works fine.
I should also mention that going forward is a lot safer with the narrow dodger -- you do not have to go as much distance outward with less to hang on to....

Loren in PDX