• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Backstay Adjuster

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Roger,

I have taken four pics showing the backstay adjuster on our 1984 E30+. They show the single backstay from the masthead being split into two stays, the two sheaves that slide on those two stays pulling them together to increase tension, and the two endings one of which has a cam cleat to cleat it off. Let me know if you have questions.

Frank

backstay 3.jpgindex 3.jpgbackstay 2.jpgbackstay.jpg

Last edited:

jacksonkev

Member III
Hi Roger,

I have taken four pics showing the backstay adjuster on our 1984 E30+. They show the single backstay from the masthead being split into two stays, the two sheaves that slide on those two stays pulling them together to increase tension, and the two endings one of which has a cam cleat to cleat it off. Let me know if you have questions.

Frank

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Hello Frank,

I just stumbled upon this thread and see that you added a backstay adjuster to your E30+. I'm thinking of doing the same. I've read a few opinions saying that the E30+ rig doesn't benefit much from (or able to) bending the mast. I can't see how it wouldn't be helpful even if limited in effect. Could you share any thoughts you may have after sailing with it for a few years?

Cheers,

Kevin

Frank Langer

Hi Kevin,
The backstay adjuster definitely helps in stronger winds. I would add it for sure. I hope the pics help!
Frank

jacksonkev

Member III
Hi Kevin,
The backstay adjuster definitely helps in stronger winds. I would add it for sure. I hope the pics help!
Frank

Thanks Frank!

I'm replacing my mainsheet system, so the old Schaefer 4:1 block and tackle will transfer quite easily to create the backstay adjuster system. Seems like a no brainer.

I think I'm going with the CS Johnson backstay adjustment car instead of dual wire blocks but not 100% sure. Did you weigh both options or have an opinion about one over the other?

Thanks again,

Kevin

attachment.php

Attachments

• 612333.jpg
    612333.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 87

Frank Langer

Hi Kevin,
The backstay adjuster was on the boat when we bought her so I didn't compare types. But the one we have a shown in the pics works well.
Frank