• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

23 Tell Tales

Bob in Va

Member III
Glad you enjoyed it. Didn't I send you a Jan/Feb copy? If not, let me know and I will send one out. Anyone else out there with an E23, let me know and we'll get you on the mailing list. We have located about 45 boats now and welcome new members to the association. Working on a motto now - how about "Real men don't need standing headroom"?

Sven

Seglare
Hi Bob,

No, neve got a Jan-Feb issue, I'd assumed it was a quarterly until I saw the one you just sent.

If you change "real men ..." to "real sailors ..." or salts or something like that you might have a winner :)

Is your boat in the water yet ?

-Sven

Bob in Va

Member III
Jan/Feb issue

Will get one off to you tomorrow, though my top priority will be LAUNCHING THE BOAT! Or at least getting it down to the lake, which requires the help of a buddy with a big truck. Spring race series begins Saturday, so time is short, and the projects list still has many items remaining. Last year I had to pass on the first two races of the series (rebuilding the centerboard), and it was Ericson weather to boot - plenty of wind.

Sven

Seglare
Bob,

Many thanks. Got it yesterday. You did a really good job on both issues !

Bet you won't have time for that when the ice melts :)

BTW, how did you hunt down all the owners ?

-Sven

Bob in Va

Member III
Finding owners has been an interesting process - we are adding two to four every couple of months. I'm glad there is such enthusiasm for these old boats, and hope we can keep as many as possible in the hands of people who will appreciate their fine sailing qualities. Got my mast up and the boat launched somewhat after dark on Friday, then tuned the rig with the aid of a small flashlight. Saturday's forecast was plenty of wind. We had all we wanted, plus. We made a decent start in the first race, turned the windward mark in second place, then screamed downwind with the 150 furled to about 120 and showed 6.0 to 7.4 on the knotmeter (hull speed is 5.92). On about the third gybe, with the main sheeted in pretty far, the boom came across and snapped right at the bail for the mainsheet attachment. We had to drop out, as the broken end of the boom was bouncing around in a threatening fashion, hanging from the single slug at the clew (loose footed sail). Fired up the outbard and made for more sheltered water, tied off the boom and retrieved the broken piece. You will find out why it happened in the next issue of "Tell-Tales" (the suspense builds). 4 of the 7 boats in our class dropped out of that race (we had the only equipment failure, but there were a couple of injuries and one guy fell off a boat in spinnaker class) and it hurt to miss the second race, too, as this boat really does like those heavy wind days and I think we'd have done OK. Turned out the failure was actually my fault, not the boom's. I'm repairing the boom now and plan to race in two weeks, as my Tahoe-based brother will be visiting and he is at least as gung ho as I am.

Sven

Seglare
Hi Bob,

Originally posted by Bob in Va
... turned the windward mark in second place, then screamed downwind with the 150 furled to about 120 and showed 6.0 to 7.4 on the knotmeter (hull speed is 5.92).

I'm glad you mentioned that. Mark F also mentioned 7+ when over powered. After mentioning that La Petite clocked a sustained 6.5 a couple of months ago I didn't feel like mentioning that we've since been up at the speeds you two reported ... figured my credibility would evaporate :)

In fairness, I do think our very high speeds have been partially due to surfing the swells, not just overpowering with sail area. I do know that current was not a factor since we got those speeds on both downwind tacks, heading back towards the mainland. Since our only instrumentation is the GPS we only measure velicity over the bottom so current has to be ruled out by tacking down wind.

'Hull speed is theoretical. If you tow a sailboat behind the QE-II the sailboat will go as fast as the QE-II'. I can't remember which naval architect said that, but it is worth remembering.

PS Sorry to hear about the boom failure but very happy that nobody was hurt. On one of the speed days I mentioned above a slip neighbor came back into port with his boom snapped in half. He was lucky too, he had four adults and two young girls in the cockpit when it happened. Nobody was hurt and he had the boom spliced and welded gack into shape !

-Sven

mbond007

I would like to join the 23 telltales group as well. I own a 1975 E-23-2 Hull #ERY23255M75F I am currently trying to replace the standing and running rigging. Does anyone have any documentation on how to do this? Does any one have any pictures of their boats so I can see how all the rigging is supposed to be run? I just bought this boat and would like to get her up and ready to run.

Bob in Va

Member III
Sure...

Just go to Owners & Projects section and check the owners' registry there for E-23-2. Mine is the 8th one down - boat name is "TigerEye". Email me your postal mailing address, and you're in! I have more info I'll share with you then. It's good to find another boat and enthusiastic owner.
Regards,
Bob