• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New England/Long Island Ericson Regatta - any interest?

Mel Snyder

For many years back in the 1980s and 1990s, regional Ericson owners would gather on Block Island on an August weekend - and it was truly super. Race around the island, very gentlemanly. barbecue, lots of kids activities - dingy racing, fishing. Terrific. The Kollman brothers would attend, we had T shirts and pennants and great prizes. I still use an Autohelm hand compass I won one year, and a Harken vest - and a winch handle. Occasionally we would choose a CT or Long Island location, but Block was always the most popular.

When Ericson sold off to Pacific Seacraft, and the local dealer went Hunter, the regatta died - 1996 was really the last of the series, although others have tried to revive it.

In sailing Buzzards Bay, I see quite a few Ericsons, and occasionally, I will find a note pinned to a lifeline from a former regatta participant passing through during the week.

In almost 20 years, a whole new group of owners are likely out there - and some of the children of owners back then may have inherited their parents' boats.

And so, I thought I'd just toss the idea out there, and see if there's any interest in preparing for a 2015 regatta.

Feel free to email me at melsnyder at gee-mail (spelled correctly, of course).

All the best,

Mel Snyder
Mel's Angel