• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast Plate and Hatch

jwolfgra

Member II
Now that I've discovered this forum, I"ll probably air a bunch I've idea's I've been toying with as upgrades form my E29.

The first one was triggered by an image of an E29 I saw at the entrance of this web site. That boat featured two coach hatches, one to the bow of the mast, the other to the stern of the mast. This is in addition to the companion way hatch. My particular boat only has a single hatch - to the bow of the mast - in addition to the companion way hatch. Does anyone know if the image on this web site was a standard boat, or was this an owner modification? Also, anythoughts on the potential difficulty in doing an alteration to add the hatch? Of particular concern would be the risk of compromising structural integrity.

My second thought/question was triggered by several boat's I"ve seen around the marina. These boats are deck stepped, as is mine. They have a metal plate beneath the mast which contains mounting points for blocks. I find this attractive in that I could add blocks and run lines back with out having to drill additional holes in the coach. Has anyone out there made this type of addition?, and if so, how expensive was it?

Thanks in advance

Bill Robbins

Member II
Hi,
I just stripped the mast of all hardware and paint. I painted, put on all new fasteners and standing rigging...ect.ect. ect.... I did put a plate under the mast as you described. It cost me about $45 and is a solid plate that fits between the cabin top and mast step (term??) To instal, simply drill out the four bolt holes that secure the mast step to cabin top and a larger hole for wires to pass.
Obviously the mast needs to be removed to do this. I think there is a product that is a collar which bolts itself around the base of the mast. Not familiar with it though.
Good luck

Bill Robbins

Member II
I just noticed your address is Oakland. I did my haulout at Svendsons. The head rigger there is great, and full of good advice. His name is Chris. I trust him.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Originally posted by jwolfgra
... The first one was triggered by an image of an E29 I saw at the entrance of this web site. That boat featured two coach hatches, one to the bow of the mast, the other to the stern of the mast. This is in addition to the companion way hatch. My particular boat only has a single hatch - to the bow of the mast - in addition to the companion way hatch. Does anyone know if the image on this web site was a standard boat, or was this an owner modification? ...

Both of the E29 images on the front page are stock photos, from Ericson advertising - so the salon hatch must have become stock after your boat was built (what is your hull number and year?).

If you want to knock another hatch into the cabin top, I suggest a careful survey of anything above your headliner to ensure the place you wish to put it is clear of any cables, supporting structures or other things that would foul the installation (since your original design did not have one, there may be a good reason).

I want to add a ceiling hatch to the shower on my E35-3 - to let the steam out. There are lots of guides on how to do it - basically measuring like crazy, ensuring that you're clear of all obstructions, drilling pilot holes, measuring some more, sawing out the hole, and then removing some of the core material and replacing it with epoxy to ensure a watertight seal - then putting in the hatch. It's project #421 on my list, so.....

//sse

jwolfgra

Member II
Mystery on the additional overhead hatch is solved. I downloaded the advertising document from this web site, the doc speaks to a revision of the original E29, two changes: 1. Additional cabin Hatch, 2. Wheel steering and split cockpit.

My boat is tiller steering, same basic layout as an E27.

Where do you find the Hull Number on the boat??

Walter Pearson

Member III
I made a formed stainless plate with holes that is sandwiched between the deck and the original cast aluminum mast step fitting. I did the cutting and drilling, but a sheet metal shop with a press brake did the forming. It has been one of most useful upgrades I have done to my E27 (in addition to making me look a little like some of the big rigs with all those blocks attached to the bottom of their masts). I'm not sure the dimensions would be the same for your mast, but if you are interested in pursuing making your own, I could supply sketches and you could revise as needed.

With a suitable drawing, someone like Tops In Quality might make one for you. They just quoted a spreader bracket for me, so you can find hardware mfrs that will make parts in ones and twos on a custom basis.