• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Outboard MotorProtestion

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I just got a shiny new Yamaha 8 hp Outboard for my inflatable. Prior to now, I had a raggedy 1978 Honda that was utterly unreliable. There was no problem with keeping it onboard. It appears that outboards are the most stolen items on boats nowadays Does anyone out there have good ideas for keeping it onboard?

Bob Morrison
E-34 Terra Nov

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I just got a shiny new Yamaha 8 hp Outboard for my inflatable. Prior to now, I had a raggedy 1978 Honda that was utterly unreliable. There was no problem with keeping it onboard. It appears that outboards are the most stolen items on boats nowadays Does anyone out there have good ideas for keeping it onboard?

Bob Morrison
E-34 Terra Nov
I have read of cruisers who spray painted the engine cowling on their fairly new engine to make it look like a junker. If you don't care about the looks that might be something to consider.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Lock it up

You can buy a good bar lock that will keep them from stealing it. They're about $50 IIRC....

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Theft Ponderings

Bob Morrison
E-34 Terra Nov

Hi Bob, I'm sure that you're aware that there is actually NO way to Completely prevent theft by a motivated and determined crook...
Several years ago there was a rash of thefts from marinas in our area, including our little YC moorage. Sheriff warned us that the thieves were likely arriving in the dark, in a smaller boat with an electric trolling motor and equipped with large "bolt cutters".

At that time they were evidently "stealing to order" Honda outboards and some similar ones to sell to fishermen who like bargains that were warm to the touch. Just an assumption... but one based on years of law enforcement experience.

After two Honda's were taken from our moorage in a short period of time, one owner painted zebra stripes on his whole engine! :)
(It was never stolen, either.)

Some points I (dimly) recall from the presentation -- You need to look at the entire attachment method for your engine.
A lock or small cable through the little holes in the turn-lever castings will not suffice, because any little casting will be instantly broken.
The somewhat-better type of "lock" incorporating a metal U-channel that covers both handles is still rather vulnerable. Plus, they often conflict with lifting brackets.
Some sort of beefy cable or hardened chain that goes clear around the lower leg, tightly, is quite a bit better. This may need some diagraming and testing so it will allow use of the engine with minimal futzing.

Used to be, only heavier larger-hp engines were bolted solidly to transom or other mountings, and thus a lot harder to steal, but perhaps some of that method would help an 8 or10 hp OB. :confused:
The Yamaha 25's on our two work boats are bolted in place, and the club burgee and initials are painted on both sides of the engines as well. The boats are chained up with hardened chains when parked, also. No problem so far.....
:rolleyes:

It's a quandary for sure. Thieves have been around since ancient times...
And I feel that your best efforts will always be to make your possessions visibly Very Difficult to steal, and the crooks will move on to easier targets.
(Big Sigh ! )

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Outboard motor protection

Thanks everyone. I like the Glock except that I have to leave the boat and it doesn't work in Canada. I will remove the engine when in the home marina. I can roll it down to the boat and lift it with a 6 to 1 tackle.
I will carve my name and phone number in several places in the case. I'll stencil the boats name on both sides of it. I'll buy an Atlantic Slot Lock and I'll use a hardened motorcycle cable lock. I'll get a cover too.

This should keep it onboard, I hope.

Bob Morrison

clp

Member III
If the scurrilous scoundrels get through all that, they deserve the motor. And thanks Loren, I have been snapping a lock across those little handles like you describe, and never thought how vulnerable it may be. Gotta start thinking like a criminal I guess..