• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 Polar Diagrams and/or SA/D?

KG6DHF

Anyone have information on either of these two items for the 1987 or newer Ericson 34 shallow draft boatl? I've looked everywhere and no can find.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
E-34

Have you checked with US Sailing? I am quite sure that they have VPP info for the newest E-35, which will be pretty close (except for the short keel on your boat). I am assuming ou are not talking about the "Olson/Ericson" 34. If you are, that is an easy one-just look up the Olson 34 at US Sailing. They have all kinds of certificates, etc.

That is where to start-if they don't have your 34, I would use the 35 (I think they refer to it as an E-353), and allow for your keel.
Any questions contact me directly.
Cheers

escapade

Inactive Member
E34 polars

USSailing has polars for both the E34 & E35-3 available for $210.00 ea. Sailingdeacon & I have discussed the value for our purposes. He has a shoal draft E34, ours is a wing keel version. Unless you are going to race in the "big leagues" I'm not sure that this information would be a good value. I also believe that the data is for the fin keel version of this boat & would question the accuracy of the data for a "thin water" boat. Seth is much more knowledgeable on these matters, but Doug & I have been racing with some success without. Better to invest in good sails & get out there & do it. Good luck in finding a suitable boat. After 2 years of owning Escapade we throughly enjoy her and don't know of any other boat we'd rather have, regardless of price.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

KG6DHF

Hi guys. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. The price for the Polars is too spendy and probably unnecessary considering I plan to be a cruiser not a racer.
I've sailed a number of boats on delivery and for fun including Hunters and Catalinas. An Ericson 34 I was able to go sailing on with a friend in San Diego was like a high end BMW compared to the other boats.
My 1971 35 was a wonderful boat that walked away from most anything her size in San Diego. Once had her in too much wind and sea and she handled well. Used oars to get her into the marina one calm night when the Atomic 4 decided not to run. Can't do that with a heavy cruiser!
The problem is I'm impatient to have another Ericson and very much looking forward to climbing into every detail of the 34. Lots and lots of questions that can probably only be answered by doing the touchy-feely thing.
Thanks again, AJ

Seth

Sustaining Partner
AJ

You are right-the costs are not worth it for your purposes. If you would like some specific info on what you might expect in different conditions, please contact me directly.
For what it is worth, when designers provide SA/D info, they are comparing the sail area of a mainsail and 100% jib to the designed displacement (all up weight-less provisions and crew).

You can change the sail area to reflect the size genoas you will use-as long as you do it for all of the boats you compare.

Good luck!