• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

I am considering changing the name of my boat...

Fparry

Member II
I have heard that it is unlucky to change the name of a boat. As I am considering doing just that I was curious as to what people here think about the practice. I should say that the current name of my boat, "Luna" was not the original name. From what I have been able to find out the original name was, "Caravela" and I believe it was changed once after that to a name which I have so far been unable to determine.

At any rate your thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here ya go

Best invocation that I know of....
http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm

Be sure to have Glyn J do the de/re- naming.
Just send him (and his current guide dog-in-training) a plane ticket.
:egrin:
I shall never forget watching him perform his official "Viking" naming duties at the NW rendezvous a few years ago.

Loren

Steve A

Member II
name change

I would never change the name if the boat was designed to that name, but that's not the case with most production boats. Ceremony is here boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm When I renamed my boat I also had a priest a minister and a rabbi bless the boat in addition to the offerings to the gods of wind and seas.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I was going to rename RUMKIN until I googled RUMKIN and found it to be a popular or jocular name for a "drinking vessel" seemed to fit even though the previous owner was a Minister. And also I couldn't afford all the alcohol needed for the process.

We were boat shopping 21+ years ago and saw an E38-200 we liked at lot, but my wife said she was not interested in owning a boat named “Sea Shanty”. She also said she wanted to go sailing in the starlight, so of course I bought the boat and renamed it “Starlight” and we did. Today we still enjoy the boat, and we have a 20 year old ;) daughter who says “Daddy, I'd like to go sailig on the boat this weekend”, but doesn’t mean “will you take me?”

I can’t imagine how I could have had any better luck than this.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
A name is a name

The most important thing is to have a name for your boat which you like. THAT is what brings you good luck.

Change the name and move on!:)

S

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Renaming a boat

I have always wondered where the saying "it is bad luck to rename a boat" came from considering that the sailing ships of old seemed to be renamed everytime they changed owners, which was frequent. That being said, we did have our boat blessed with it's new name when we renamed our boat. Pick a name that you like and that can be understood and spelled when used over the VHF. I agree with Seth - change the name and move on. Dave (Amazing Grace, ex Murray Grey, ex Karhu)

clp

Member III
naughty name boat.jpg Seth and others said it. Don't be all superstitious about it, this isn't the dark ages. I did read one time about why this ceremony was "necessary", and it turned out to be ridiculous.

I mean, it's kind of a fun thing if you're just looking for an excuse to party, and that's great. It is. But bad luck? U.F.O.'s, Sasquatches, J.F.K. grassy knollers, fake moon landing conspirators. These are the people that seriously believe such witch doctorie..

lbertran

Member III
Superstition

It also was once considered bad luck to have a woman on a boat. I've ignored that belief as have many others. Enjoy your new name!