• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Farallons ?

Sven

Seglare
Is there any reason why a cruiser would want to visit the Farallon Islands overnight ? The one anchorage is supposed to be marginally rolly and somewhat protected in NW conditions but I'm not sure if there is any reason to go there ? Can you go ashore and see the wildlife or is there enough aquatic wildlife to make an excursion worth it ?

Thanks.

-Sven

ref_123

Member III
Hi Sven,

there is no anchorage at Farallons - at least, not officially. There is a palce to drop a hook, yes; however, holding is poor, it's not recommended for anything but a lunch or a true emergency and you may get yelled at by authorities as it's a part of the protected zone.

Nice alternative used by most people is to go around Farallones and then anchor in Drake's Bay.

Islands are wild and beautiful in a nice weather, and terrifying and cold in bad one. Many boats and many souls were lost there. Local indians called them "Islands of the Dead".

I have some fantastic pictures from there to show for blue skies and almost no wind; my wife went by on another occasion and has a memory of fog, cold, and winds of 40+ knots.

Regards,
Stan