• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Turning a boat around in the slip

adam

Member III
Step-by-step I'm mastering docking my boat in it's new double-fingered upwind slip.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...95-Pulling-into-a-windward-double-finger-slip

I spend a lot of time on my boat in the dock, and I really want it to be stern first into the slip. It has a much better view that way and a lot more privacy. However, there are very close quarters. I have enough trouble navigating into the slip forward, and I don't think I'm capable of doing it in reverse.

So... does anyone have advice on the _best_ way to turn around a boat in a double fingered slip? I've managed to do it a number of times, but it's never been particularly graceful.

Thanks!
-Adam

Tom Plummer

Member III
Prop walk turn

If the slip is wide enough the turn the boat in then I would use a prop walk turn. Start with the boat at a dead stop in the center of the slip. My boat has a right hand turn prop which will walk my stern to port in reverse so I do the following: Note the engine is at idle during the entire process.
1. Put my rudder over hard to starboard
2. Place the transmission in reverse which will cause the stern to walk to port
3. As soon as the boat starts to move astern place the transmission in forward which will cause the stern to move more to port.
4. As soon as the boat starts to move forward repeat step 2 then 3 and then 4 until the boat has done its 180.
If done properly you can spin the boat 360 degrees on its keel. I would however advise you practice this in an open area before trying it in the slip.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I saw your diagram from the other thread. You are basically in a crosswind slip and have to worry about your neighbor. It's always going to be a bit sporty docking there. Regarding
turning your boat around, I would offer that you pick early AM to do it, when there is no wind to deal with. You have plenty of room in your fairway to spin her. Typically Ericsons back
to port. Using prop walk, you can just about turn her in her length. Practice it first until you are comfortable and then go for it.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
My last slip had a shallow spot right behind it. I used the prop walk turn successfully a few times, although I can't claim the keel never touched bottom. (Sometimes I just had to wait for high tide.) Try looking up "warping a boat" or "springing" a boat. It looks slick when done properly. Finding a safe place to practice may be a bit hard. You'd think it would be in the best interest of marinas to have a well-padded practice slip somewhere. I guess you can always pad your own.

Last edited: