• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Main Companionway Hatch E-27

Boxster2nr

I have just recentley acquired a e-27 and am in need of main compaion way hatch. Any Thoughts or ideas would be help full Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A suggestion...

May I suggest re-posting your question in the Maint. and Mechanical Forum? These regional forums seem to used more for social stuff for the named area.

I know that many Ericson owners have rebuilt the wood hatches. You might do a search on this site; the icon is on the upper right portion of the page. Use "hatch" or "hatch rebuild" or similar.
Best of luck.
And, welcome to the group!

Loren in Portland, OR

:egrin:

Jan-

I have an all-wood (teak) replacement companionway hatch in my E-27. It was done locally. As I just live up the road, in Bradenton, call me. 792-3044. We can discuss what you can do and you can come up and look over my boat.

Morgan Stinemetz

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I covered the old fiberglass companionway hatch cover on my '68 E23 with teak. Using the old hatch for the frame simplified the process for me. The old hatch cover had three fiberglass ribs protruding on the top side. To keep a lower profile cover I cut the ribs off. Next I glued, screwed and biscuited 3/4" x 3" teak boards to the top. Then made front, back and two side pieces to cover the frame sides. I also made the hatch to deck tolerances a little tighter (smaller gaps) while I was at it. Took a few days but was a fun project. Here is a photo of the finished hatch cover and new drop-in boards.

Mark

Attachments

• boat companionway.jpg
    boat companionway.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 299

Jack Zink

Welcome to the Southeast Gulf Coast group. I too like Morgan have had some teakwork done for my E-23 locally...... here in Gulfport, Mississippi. I have a buddy who is a cabinet maker who fabricated a cabin hatch for me. He fabricated it out of rough cut teak and it turned out super. I thought teak was the way to go. I believe the real issue falls to how to finish the teak. I wrestled with that for quite awhile. I finally decided because of the relatively minimual amount of teak on my 23 that after restoration and preparation that oiling rather than another finish is gave us what we were looking for. I will try and post a photo later.
Jack