• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 30+ Water coming in from Wet Locker

GrumpyPawPaw

Member I
We were out for a long weekend trip from Raritan Bay to Oyster Bay,NY. Returning yesterday the conditions were winds 20-25 and seas 2-3ft. As we heeled to starboard, I noticed water entering from the two small drain holes in the wet locker just in front of the nav. station. We were getting some waves over the bow but not that much. I drained the bilge dry to try to trace the water entry but no luck. As much as as two gallons of water would enter on each starboard tack. Finally I taped the holes with gorilla tape until we reached home. I check the bilge and it was normal. Any ideas where this intrusion of sea water is coming from?

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Leaks

We were out for a long weekend trip from Raritan Bay to Oyster Bay,NY. Returning yesterday the conditions were winds 20-25 and seas 2-3ft. As we heeled to starboard, I noticed water entering from the two small drain holes in the wet locker just in front of the nav. station. We were getting some waves over the bow but not that much. I drained the bilge dry to try to trace the water entry but no luck. As much as as two gallons of water would enter on each starboard tack. Finally I taped the holes with gorilla tape until we reached home. I check the bilge and it was normal. Any ideas where this intrusion of sea water is coming from?

Hi! this may be the solution, I have owned an Ericson 30+ for 15 years. Check the screws on your toe rails the calking may have worn out, I found several of them loose, , took the toe tail off to about mid ships starbord side scapped hull and toe rail clean, re-fashened ( fatter screws same length) and low and behold I have been sailing it fo 5 more years with no leek, My biggest leak was around the anchor locker bin and harder to fix, but fix it I did after installing an electric anchor winch (best work saving addition I have done to the boat) If required I' send pictures of the installation). It has no leaks! Used Sekaflex as caulking material.

Chas and judi sv Eden 1986 E 30+ # 720 sv-eden@telus.net

Last edited:

GrumpyPawPaw

Member I
Thanks Chas,
My 85 30+ does have a damp area around the anchor locker. the board at the V berth has been damp on occasion. If you could, I would like to see your photos. All in all, the boat sails great.