• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pulling into a windward double-finger slip

adam

Member III
I'm about to move my Ericson 29 to a new marina (Jack London Square in Oakland).

I'm looking for advice on how to best pull into a double-finger slip, that is generally on the windward side.

If I approach too slowly, I'll get pushed by the wind into the neighboring boat.

If I approach too quickly, I'll crash into the dock.

Pulling forward quickly, and then hitting reverse hard after crew is on the dock could work. But that's impossible if I'm docking solo.

So... I'd really appreciate any advice on how to best do this.

Thanks!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I've wondered about that myself. (esp. after an episode during which an instructor was unable to execute the maneuver.) The best (theoretical) answer I've come up with is backing in while using a long bow-spring line. It seems possible but difficult to do single-handed. I would want an empty well-padded slip in a deserted marina to practice this.

One resource that seem to be free on-line is "Illustrated Seamanship" by Ivar Dedekam. There is a diagram of leaving a slip using this method but nothing explicit about entering one.

If I had crew, I think I'd pull up perpendicular to the slip (head into the wind) at the end of the float and put the crew off with long docking lines, then back around the corner while crew warped the boat in.

Last edited:

Carefree Sailor

Member II
Adam, there is an app (actually, an eBook) on iTunes that you might find useful: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/maneuvering-under-power/id511188154?mt=11.

I think it is important to keep in mind that reverse is another gear -- it isn't a brake! Having people jump from the boat to the dock doesn't strike me as being a good strategy. I would think that the preferred approach is slow and easy with sufficient water flowing over the rudder to maintain control.

Certainly docking a boat isn't like parking a car. I will be interested to hear what others have to say.

adam

Member III
If I had crew, I think I'd pull up perpendicular to the slip (head into the wind) at the end of the float and put the crew off with long docking lines, then back around the corner while crew warped the boat in.

I should have put this info into the original post.

To make the docking process even more challenging, there is a large post at the end of the dock which makes it difficult and potentially dangerous to step onto the end of the dock.

Plus, my neighbor sticks at least 3' out beyond the end of their dock so if I pulled into the end of the dock, I'd crash right into their bow.

dock2.jpgdock1.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Oh, and it looks like you'll have a nice audience to watch and applaud your technique as well... :rolleyes:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I back into our slip which is usually on the windward side. You can use prop walk to back in as it moved the stern to port in reverse. Always approach so that your nose will be pushed out as you are backing in.

mggrave

When I learned to dock my 32' I was told only pull into the slip as hard as your willing to hit something. That being said I've had some days where you point at the slip and allow the boat to drift and time your run to get the bow in, once the bow is in its for the most part uneventful. Most marinas in my experience have some nice people that see you coming and help you dock and leave.

Mike Grave
Havoc
Ericson 32'

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
In my experience, "nice helpful people" who jump in to help will do exactly the wrong thing to keep the situation under control. Best to have a self-sufficient plan. As far as the developing discussion, I suppose it depends on exactly how much wind we're talking about. As long as the water is flat, there shouldn't be much problem. But when it's gusting, controlling the bow can be a real rodeo.

I've recently been kicked out of my single into a double slip too, but at least I got to choose the lee side tie :egrin:

ref_123

Member III
Mid-ship cleat

We use mid-ship cleat. Other people also have an additional line from bow cleat to a stern one - it helps controlling the boat when you are on the dock, without breaking life lines and/or stachions.

We typically get in the slip with some speed, with a line attached to mid-ship cleat. As we start the entry, I jump on dock and tie that line off on the first cleat on dock. The rest is easy - boat side-swings into the dock. If it goes with a bow or stern first, just adjust that mid-ship cleat position. In my case, it's slightly forward of the gate.

Only thing is that one needs to be quick with the wrap on that dock cleat! Or you pay with skin on your hands!

Regards,
Stan

Emerald

Do you approach so that you turn to starboard to go into your slip (most prop walk in reverse pulls the stern to port)? The wind is often off my port bow, and I am on a tight turn to starboard into a slip with a finger and wide pier down either side. Sometimes you need to nose in a bit to keep from getting blown sideways, and then have to break and straighten up by walking the stern to port with some reverse. Kinda a balance of maintaining enough headway so the wind doesn't get you but enough to be in control/stop in the slip. I also find it great to leave a spring line run on at least one side, if not both. Someone on the bow can focus on grabbing the spring on the windward side and pull forward/hold/break etc. I'll then grab a stern line from the windward side so between the two lines, it's pretty easy to get initial fore and aft positioning and stopped. I'll tie the spring lines to midship cleats when done. I'll also confirm that the biggest screw up you ever make will be in front of the largest crowd any facility can support. I managed to have a grand display of everything going wrong at the conclusion of the local rock fish tournament while everyone in the whole community was on the pier checking out the trophy fish and generally having a good time.

Also, Chapman's Piloting has some good diagrams and theory on docking in different wind/tide pier configurations. I use a pivot line running from the last outboard port piling to the port genoa cleat for popping the bow out to exit my slip -I'm literally several inches shorter in length than the width of the alley - so I back straight out, the line tightens up, and the bow swings to the starboard pointing out of the marina - cast off and away you go :egrin:

vbenn

Member III
I sailed Barnegat Bay in NJ for 20+ years. Most summer afternoons, the winds can approach 18-20 knots making it challenging to pull into our slip. Many of us rigged a V-shaped bridle suspended by the pilings to guide the boat in and hold it in place until docklines could be secured. Use a small fender at the apex of the V to absorb some of the load when coming in hot.

Vince Benn

Lawrence B. Lee

Member III
Women and Children First

The Admiral and I have pretty much mastered the crash take off and are now working on crash landings. No blood is our goal. In addition to winds the currents in Georgia can be ghastly with an average 8 foot tidal drop. There are times when we simply can't get into our two finger dock without bumping something. I usually back in and try to do so against the tide. That way with the bow pointed out we can usually get out under any circumstances.

When we have to come in bow first with the force behind and thus against us I try to come in pretty close to the slip and then engage reverse and simply stop the boat. Then as the stern starts to get pushed around I put her in forward and get enough headway to control the rudder and straighten her up and bring her on in easily. I am tired of banging dock so I have 15" wheels on the lead corner of each finger and I have placed six 8 X 24 inch horizontally mounted fenders spaced 30 inches apart on the port side (for a bow entry). We use three fenders on the starboard side hung in the traditional manner. We don't have anything for the bow to hit because we have so far been able to stop the boat in time. One more thing, We have a line attached midships on the starboard side which the Admiral ties down to the first cleat available. Then the forward progress of the boat will bring the starboard side firmly up against the dock.

I know every situation it different and so is every landing but we talk about what we are going to try to do before we approach. Go slow ...stop the boat and then move forward to regain steerage and hope for the best. So far...no blood.

Larry Lee
Annabel Lee
E32-200
Savannah GA

adam

Member III
With practice, I'm getting better at this. But it's still a bit nerve wracking and an exciting ride.

Docking:

1) Barely miss hitting the pylon at the restaurant.

2) Put into neutral, make a sharp turn to port, put it back in gear.

3) Barely miss hitting my neighbor's expensive yacht.

4) Put the boat in neutral

5) Barely miss slamming into my dock.

6) At the last second before slamming into the dock, turn to be parallel with the dock, and gracefully slide slideways into the dock.

7) Reverse if necessary.

8) My crew wraps the forward spring line around a cleat on the dock to stop forward movement. The rear spring line is used to keep the stern from drifting into my neighbor.

docking.jpg

InSync

Member II
Docking the E-32

You can do it! Although we have managed to subdue the port prop walk on our 1974 E-32 by installing a 3 blade Max Prop it is still there and can be a headache...or the best tool you will ever use when docking. As a previous poster mentioned, you can learn to easily spin the 32 within her own length, or close to it, using the "back and fill" method, helm held to starboard and alternate between forward and reverse. Practice this and don't be afraid to use power either. If there is a breeze blowing and you are being sent sideways down the fairway you need to throttle up a bit in forward gear to bring the bow up. Another suggestion for docking while singlehanded is to take your stern line and quickly wrap it on the horn cleat closest to the fairway end of your slip when you come in, once you have your wrap on the cleat turn the helm hard over towards the dock. In your case, to starboard if you are bow in. Leave the engine running at idle and in forward gear. The boat will sit quite happily next to the dock without the need of further lines. Secure your stern line to the boat (yes, you will only have a wrap on the horn cleat at this time) and you can now step onto the dock (no jumping please!) and secure your mid-ships and bow line and then shut down the engine. Now you can re-tie that stern line properly. This does work quite well however, as with most docking procedures, there is that critical point - getting that stern line wrapped on the horn cleat! Practice, practice. You may also want to make it a habit to throw a couple of fenders at rafting height on your neighbour's side. Good luck!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
And, just last night..............

We have walked those docks when in town for the SailExpo shows. Do they relocate tennents for the show duration? Or am I imagining another marina @ Jack London Square?

Anyhow, I was out for a (delightful ! ) sail on an E-38 yesterday evening. Coming back into the slip, we took an extra try to get the boat close enough for the "old guy" - me - to hop off onto the finger dock. Wind - 13 to 15 kts - was blowing us away from the finger dock as we turned into the slip.

Skipper reversed out without any fuss and then approached it from more of a course toward the wind. North is up in the picture, so he re-approached it more towards the north.

Pardon my poor drawing skills with the mouse, but the main course in is the pink line, and the second try is the gold line. Backing up is not too hard, since the boat does have a 3-blade feathering prop. That makes a diference for sure.

Main trick, tho, is to come in and go a bit beyond the turn, and then 'J hook' back partly into the wind as you park it. Halt it with just a short shot of reverse as the crew steps off with a mid ship line in hand and takes a tight turn on the middle dock cleat. Of course you should have good fendering on that side.
The boat I was on always has some "emergency" fenders on the side toward his neighbor, too.

And then, as the New York cabbie said to the tourist asking "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?"...... Practice, Practice, Practice!!

Upon second thought, our final approach is similar to what Adam is doing.
"Nothing to see here, Move Along."
:)

Cheers,
Loren

Attachments

• downwind entry.jpg
    downwind entry.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 900
Last edited:

adam

Member III
We have walked those docks when in town for the SailExpo shows. Do they relocate tennents for the show duration? Or am I imagining another marina @ Jack London Square?

That's the same dock. A few weeks a year, while the expo is going on, I'll need to move my boat to another marina run by the same company. It doesn't seem like a big deal as there are a bunch of their marinas in the area.

As for docking, I guess I'll practice some more and see if I can ever master this in reverse. If not, I'll consider getting a new prop.

I may also try pulling into the somewhat sheltered area of the marina, and then back up from there, using a J-route like Lauren did. (see photo - green route)

Thanks for your help everyone.

Practice, practice, practice.

docking2.jpg

Second Star

Member III
Pulling into a windward double finger slip

A member of our club owned a Newport 30 and always brought it into a tight slip at the club stern first. His method, although looking a bit odd, always worked. As he turned into the marina, he would turn the boat around and basicaly drive the boat astern the length of the marina and into his slip. He had good control of the boat and could effectively drive it straight into his slip like he was going forward!