• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

38-200 question / poll

celtium

Member III
Which berth do you guys use as the master berth? V-berth or aft berth?

I tried the aft berth yesterday after using the V-berth as the main for four years, I must say the extra foot room is attractive. It may very well become the 'Master Suite'.

So, that's the kinda' mini poll.

Thanks

Jay
E 38-200 Celtica
SF Bay

Jaytanz

Member I
We don't have the 200, but I am relatively certain that those cabins are identical in the 38.

So, I prefer the aft cabin, because at 6'2", 240 lbs, I like the extra overall space. I do get the side under the cockpit well because of my wife's claustrophobia, but that doesn't bother me. She does want to give the V-berth a try next weekend, but I have my doubts.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
It has been pointed out before that only lowly swabs sleep before the mast. The captain's quarters are aft.

Although my boat doesn't have a separate aft cabin, so apparently I am both. :rolleyes:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Catching Z's

I am just back home from a trip up the WA coast on an E-38-200.
Skipper took the forepeak. I nabbed the aft berth and the other two guys took a settee on either side.

I am 6'2" and had room to stretch out with my pillow. However, if anyone was sleeping towards the center, that varnished teak cover over the steering sheaves at the foot might be too snug for toes if they were over about 5' 5". Just an opinion.

Total width appears to be about the same as the aft berth in our Olson. I did a couple of off-watches in the forepeak and it seems about the same as ours. Room for a couple to sleep comfortably. Given that most gals are a bit shorter than guys - most but not all of course - I imagine that either cabin might do ok.
The boat I was on had the engine location under the galley ('86 and '87 years, IIRC), so there might be some difference in the engine cover over the engine compartment in other E-38/200 boats.

Loren

celtium

Member III
The Bruce King / Ericson intent

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ericson designate the V-Berth as the master? Could they have gotten it wrong, or was it before the time of the massive master under the cockpit?

Jay

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's the "master berth" if the Admiral sez it is.....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ericson designate the V-Berth as the master? Could they have gotten it wrong, or was it before the time of the massive master under the cockpit?

Jay

IIRC, We still need someone to measure all of the inside surfaces for sleeping on both E-38 models.
Just copy the interior layout design out of the brochures and put the text box info on.
Or print it and write on it, and then scan it back and upload it.
Save and upload to the prior thread on sleeping room. Or send me the info and I will post it.

Thanks much,
Loren

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?7721-Actual-Berth-Size&referrerid=28

Last edited:

e38sailorman

Member II
We have an 89 38-200 we have tried both and prefer the aft cabin. If you have to sleep under the cockpit it is a bit close but OK, we used to change sides every other night, but the Admiral is now very kind and takes the skinny side.

As it is usually just the two of us the forepeak seems to get filled up with "stuff", cockpit cushions, sails, case or two of water, the Admiral dosen't like to drink the water out of the tanks and other misc. supplies.

Marc
E38 WaveWalker
Gig Harbor Wa.

celtium

Member III
Measures

Hey Loren,

Considering that I started this, I'll be back down to mine this weekend and get the measures for a 38-200.

If someone can get the others?

Jay -

Celtica
E 38-200
SF Bay

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
V-berth in summer, better ventilation with the hatch right above you. Aft berth in the winter as the heater is in the salon and the V-berth never really gets to warm. RT

u079721

Contributing Partner
On our E38-200 I took the V-berth for the better ventilation, and my wife took the aft "cabin". Trying to sleep together in either of these would put quite a strain on the marriage.

celtium

Member III
Measures

IIRC, We still need someone to measure all of the inside surfaces for sleeping on both E-38 models.
Just copy the interior layout design out of the brochures and put the text box info on.
Or print it and write on it, and then scan it back and upload it.
Save and upload to the prior thread on sleeping room. Or send me the info and I will post it.

Thanks much,
Loren

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?7721-Actual-Berth-Size&referrerid=28

Hey Loren,

Here ya go, sorry it took so long:

For the 38-200, rear berth, the head is 62", length down starboard/engine side is 76", across the foot is 32", back up the port side is 83" and about 6" thick.

Jay
Celtica
SF Bay

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Ok so our is only the 32-200 but I have some info,for you. After trying different combos, we've settled with the admiral sleeping in the vberth and me in the aft cabin. We like being able to stretch out.

Grizz

Grizz
Mixed Usage

Upon further review: if under sail, any point of sail, the aft 1/4 berth is preferred, providing the comforting 'sssssshhhhhhh' sound of water sluicing by hull. But if forced to motor, no amount of insulation or fatigue will cancel the noise of the engine, making the v-berth the preferred off-watch location, IMHO...

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
E38 with the other interior

We use the V-berth. I am 5' 11" and Ellen is 5' 7" or so. We do have to gently move knees around at times, but other times we are fine. The cold is taken care of by a heavy quilt. We are going to experiment with chemical hand warmers this fall and winter to warm the foot area before we go to bed. Our Vee has two mirrors - one opposite the little seat that makes it like a vanity - and the full length on the entry bulkhead. The Vee must be the master!

celtium

Member III
My experiment

I think I like the rear 'Master' berth. I've been using it for a couple month now and ready to commit to buying a new mattress to replace the 1989 version.

I like the legroom, I do find it a little stuffy once in a while. That was easily fixed with a $19.99 fan from WM. :egrin:

Thanks for everyones opinion!

Jay
Celtica
E38-200
SF Bay