• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Observations

mggrave

I would first like to thank everyone that posts on this site, it has been a very benificial tool for me. I am relatively new to sailing and just bought my first monohaul sailboat a 1974 Ericson 32-2 Havoc a good project boat.

This site has really helped me in fixing the boat, so far I have replaced most of the components of the yacht specialties steering assembly, fixed a compression problem with my mast, and started on leaking deck objects. One thing I decided to do differently from the post on compression fixes was I mounted a household screw jack next to my compression post. I found that due to the mast being offset that just putting a piece of aluminum above the post was not enough (or at least my engineering mind didn't think so). So while jacking it up i decided to leave my screw jack in, I am going to frame/trim out the area next to the compression post. The downside is now I need to modify my door to the V-berth. I will post pictures soon. I am currently waiting for the Marina to launch my boat hopefully before the end of the day so I can use it this weekend and hopefully without any suprises.

I read some posts that were, well disturbing about the state of sailing and the lack of youth involved. I got my interest in sailing from my uncle who owns an Irwin 32' in Yankton SD, and Wellington 47' in Puerto Vallarta. Anyways he allowed me to learn sailing from him and last year allowed me access to his boat. In the mean time I purchased a hobie 16 and began experimenting. I am now 26 and am the youngest member of my local Yacht Club (Gavins Point Yacht Club). I think that as sailors that enjoy the sport and the leisure activity it is our duty to take friends and young people out on our boats to help them learn what sailing is all about. We also have a active hobie club that Fleet 291 that helps the local boyscout groups once a week take out hobies that were fundraised/donated to the club in order to teach and provide a safe learning experience.

I do realize that there will not be to many young people that will own their own boats, due to lack of money, time, jobs, and trying to start a family. Once a person goes sailing and experiences what it is like I believe if they enjoy it they will be hooked right away. I might be the rare exception that wants to live the lake lifestyle early and often in life, or is committed to doing so.

Anyways enough ranting. Thanks all who post and I will post pictures here shortly when I get Havoc on the water and continue to take off the deck hardware and rebed it to stop the leaks.

Michael Grave
E 32-2 Havoc
Yankton, SD

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Welcome to the forums and good luck with your launch!

Sometimes I think that the reason more young people don't discover sailing is simply lack of awareness. Or they see the fantastic prices of new boats at the boat shows and think that sailing is completely out of reach. There are so many older boats rotting at the dock, waiting to be rescued by someone with more energy than money. There are plenty of opportunities.

I often feel as if I missed a huge opportunity... all of the money that I spent on renting crummy apartments during my 20's and 30's. While I almost always lived near navigable water. That money could have been spent on restoring a nice older boat while living aboard. Of course, in those days there were no cell phones or laptop computers or electronic books, so there would have been severe logistical problems. It should be so much easier now!

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Welcome to the Forum

Michael,

Good to have you aboard! We'll look forward to seeing the pictures. Are you sailing on Lewis & Clark Lake?

mggrave

I am sailing on Lewis and Clark Lake. In the years I have been around SD I have heard that it is one of the best sailing lakes around, don't have anything to compare it to but it is nice that the lake runs east and west and we normally have north/south winds.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Canine humor attempt

Havoc........
Interesting boat name!
Do you have any Dogs of War to set loose?
:egrin:
And, if so, do they wear little helmets?

LB