• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Now we can't find rigid extruded polystyrene in LA - LB area !?

Sven

Seglare
We ran to Home Depot to pick up some Foamular for the fridge installation. All they have is 0.5" sheets and we want 2" - 4" thick lining inside the current ice box. Cutting and gluing up to 8 layers does not seem like fun at all.

They say they can only get thicker sheets by the truck load and that none of the surrounding HD stores have any either.

Figured I'd check Lowe's and on line they show that they have the Dow extruded polystyrene in many thicknesses but when I go to order some for in store pick-up all I get is "unavailable".

So, where the heck in the L.A. or Long Beach area can I get 1 or 2 four by eight sheets of at least 1.5" closed cell foam board (extruded polystyrene) !? :confused:

Thanks,

-Sven

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Weird! Maybe it's a function of latitude- the farther south you go, the smaller the insulation department... If you have any "local" lumberyards left - the kind where the contractors go, they often have a larger selection than HD.

It's not that big a job to cut it though. If you don't have a hot knife, careful slow strokes with a sharp medium-tooth hand saw will slice it like soft butter. Faster than running around town looking for thicker pieces.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Couple of months ago I bought some 1" thick foam @ Lowes for insulating a short curb wall inside our garage. I wonder if your local branch stocks it?
Since it's used for home insulation, among other uses, I would guess that they do...

Loren

Sven

Seglare
Hi Loren,

Couple of months ago I bought some 1" thick foam @ Lowes for insulating a short curb wall inside our garage. I wonder if your local branch stocks it?
Since it's used for home insulation, among other uses, I would guess that they do...

Nope, I checked.

They all have thicker (water absorbing) open cell, non-extruded stuff, but no luck with the stuff you need for a fridge-freezer. I just sent a query to the Owens-Coring office a few miles from here to see if they know of anyone locally. We'll see if that helps.

Thanks,

-Sven

Dave Neptune

Member II
Maybe

Sven, Ganall Lumber in OC may have it. They have suprised me with the hardwood and "sheet" type construction materials in that particular yard it's huge. Oh yeh, lots of construction trucks to dodge.

tenders, are the same "tenders"I have run into elsewhere? I saw your post for McM Carr and the address is right around the corner from my shop. I'm in there 2~3 times a month for boating stuff and hardware for work.

Dave Neptune :cool:

Sven

Seglare
Sven, Ganall Lumber in OC may have it. They have suprised me with the hardwood and "sheet" type construction materials in that particular yard it's huge. Oh yeh, lots of construction trucks to dodge.

Thanks for the back-up suggestion !

-Sven

tenders

Innocent Bystander
tenders, are the same "tenders"I have run into elsewhere? I saw your post for McM Carr and the address is right around the corner from my shop. I'm in there 2~3 times a month for boating stuff and hardware for work.

Dave Neptune :cool:

Dave, our paths have crossed Atomic Fourily, ie at moyermarine.com, where I have the same handle but other than that I don't think we're acquainted. I've ordered from McMaster many times but have never set foot in one of their warehouses. It must be amazing, though - the elegance of their website and the efficiency with which they fulfill orders belies the complexity of the number of SKUs they have.

Sven

Seglare