• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

The scoop on Monterey

Matey

Member III
I'm thinking I want to sail down from SF to Monterey this summer, August likely .. and leave the boat there for a few weeks. The plan would be to do some sailing day trips, visit the row, aquarium beach and all. Any of you have any goods or bads on the area ? Is the city marina the way to go, or is Breakwater an option ? Best seafood on a sailor's budget ?

Thanks, Greg

ref_123

Member III
Monterey

Hi Greg,

Fish Hopper is not the cheapest but have the best seafood, IMHO. Also great cocktails. It's at the end of Cannery Row. London Bridge Pub near the Wharf has decent beer and pretends to be somewhat British. Bulldog Pub is farther away and walk there can be long, but food is decent.

There are some good ones on the Wharf but it's a hit or miss, and crowds can be bad. Places away from the Wharf and Aquarium serve the same stuff but cheaper. Google for coupons beforehand - Monterey area restaurants frequently have something going like "$25 card for $5 dollars" or partner up to give discounts to each other's patrons.

We were thinking about going around that time as well. May be we will see you there :).

Regards,
Stan

nevadaman

Eating in Monterey

For very reasonably priced fresh fish, try the Sea Harvest Fish Market at the intersection of Hoffman and Foam Street, two blocks away from Cannery Row. It is a fish market that also serves meals. Great food if you can get past the fish market ambiance. For a reasonably priced drink or two with a view, there is a Mexican restaurant on the sea side of Cannery Row at Hoffman. Decent margaritas and beer with chips and dip as you look out over the bay and watch otters playing. Archie's American Diner at Ocean View Blvd and Eardley Avenue is an amazing place for breakfast. Huge portions that can be shared so the price is offset by not having to buy as much. Have fun.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Greg,

I usually stay at the City Marina but that is just for one day. For my e27 I think it is $18 a night. Loulou's on the Municipal Wharf is always a must for breakfast for me.

Please keep this thread updated, maybe there could be a mini Ericson Rendezvous in Monterey.

We enjoyed Phil's in Moss Landing while visiting a year or two ago. That would made a nice daytrip stop-over if the locals on this board think it is still a good establishment.

ChrisS

Member III
Hey Greg--

I stopped in Monterey going south for three nights, and then for one on the way back north. The city marina was pretty nice. There are also mooring balls that at the time were $10(?) but it was a little surgey and many boats were set up with netting to repel sea lions.

Monterey is a neat town, and with Santa Cruz, Capitola, and Stillwater Cove nearby you'll have a lot to check out. I'd go as late in the summer as possible for the best weather. Sea Harvest was recommended to me too, and there were other places to eat downtown that seemed less touristy than the wharf stuff.

Best,

Guy Stevens

The Aquarium is a must go to place.

We stayed there a few nights on our way down the coast years ago, and now go there by land frequently.

Don't miss the aquarium.

I have been through there a couple of time on deliveries, and have stayed at the city marina. Good place good people.

If you leave your boat, they will probably end up moving it around. If that does not stress you out then you should have no issues.

Guy
:)

Matey

Member III
Thanks for the replies. A good list of spots to check out. I visited the Aquarium, but that was a number of years ago, maybe 20 ?
I'm looking forward to coastal trip, and would be open to a flotilla is anyone is interested in doing the same in late summer.
I'll come back to this thread as the plot thickens
:nerd:

Regards, Greg

our38

Member II
Monterey

Thanks for the replies. A good list of spots to check out. I visited the Aquarium, but that was a number of years ago, maybe 20 ?
I'm looking forward to coastal trip, and would be open to a flotilla is anyone is interested in doing the same in late summer.
I'll come back to this thread as the plot thickens
:nerd:

Regards, Greg

Hello Greg, we recently purchased a 1980 E38 and are located in Monterey. If you do end up making the trip over here, I'd be happy to loan you our two guest passes to the Aquarium. I hear LouLou's is good, and we really like to food (although a little pricy) at Old Fisherman's Grotto).

Since we are new to sailboat ownership, we can't tell you much about local sailing spots. Santa Cruz is also a very nice place to visit, and i hear the anchorage at Capitola is nice (they might even have a boat taxi?), maybe Mark F. can confirm that. Let me know if you are going to be able to get here.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
John,

I'm glad you brought this thread back up. Greg, have you already made the trip or are you still thinking about it?

Yes there is a water taxi at Capitola wharf/harbor. I think they monitor vhf 9.

brianb00

O - 34
Monterey - on the way down

Hi Greg,

As you come out the gate, steer about 230 deg. until you get around 50 miles off shore, then turn toward Monterey and drag a fishing line. Likely you will hook into some just awesome albacore or even a yellow fin tuna. You can't beat the freshness of grilling or simmering these filets aboard.

Brian s/v Red Sky.

Sven

Seglare
We're in Breakwater right now and have been for two days. We're told that City Marina is a lot cheaper but they would not accept reservations and we decided to play it safe. We really like the staff here and are getting some small stuff done by the yard and are also getting some parts through the chandler in the yard.

Just re-visited the aquarium today (thanks !) and really enjoyed it.

-Sven

our38

Member II
Monterey

Hi Greg,

As you come out the gate, steer about 230 deg. until you get around 50 miles off shore, then turn toward Monterey and drag a fishing line. Likely you will hook into some just awesome albacore or even a yellow fin tuna. You can't beat the freshness of grilling or simmering these filets aboard.

Brian s/v Red Sky.

Good morning Brian. If you'll be in Monterey for a couple days, I'll have two guest passes to the Aquarium that you I can loan you. I'll keep a look out for you. I'm in the municipal marina, at slip A34, and I'll be down there working on my cooling system for part of today; feel free to stop by and say hello. If you have internet access, you can get my contact information through this site. I look forward to meeting you.