• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Whale Watch

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Its getting close to whale watch time.
I usually plan a couple of weekends in January to sail out toward the Coronados from San Diego Bay. I always bring hot chocolate and left over Christmas music and a camera.
Last year when we sailed out of the bay we were skunked and never saw any wild life at all. It was then that we noticed why. Seems the Navy was playing under water with a number of submarines and chasing the whales further out to sea.
We did get some good pictures of a sub.

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Yes!

Many years ago (somewhere in the 60's) I was in a 16 foot Boston Whaler with several other fishermen in the area of the Santa Barbara Islands and a big, and I mean big, grey whale breached just a few yards off our stern. He came almost completely out of the water turned and came back down on his back with a giant splash and scared the bejeebers out of us. We left for port immediately!
Jim

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Thar she blows!

I was out at Pt. Loma Nazarene college today and was looking out to sea and I saw at least 3 whale spouts. So the whales are here. Now I just need to find the time to sail from Chula Vista out past the point far enough to get some good close pictures of the whales.

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
pictures

I can't go today or tomorrow. Comittments at Church this weekend and next week we (Michelle and I), we have to move Michelle's mom into assited living. Hopefully the following weekend.
Hope you see lots of wildlife. Take pictures and post them so we can see.
Jim

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
Anything Yet

Well, has anyone been out of the bay far enough to see any whales yet. My son who likes to surf at "the Point", which is just off the light house at Point Loma, said he had several dolphins surfing with him and playing in the waves very close to him (This was several weeks ago), and I saw a few whale water spouts from Point Loma Nazarene College's campus a couple of weeks ago. But, I have yet to find enough time to sail from Chula Vista to open water. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can take a couple of days off and head out.

Lew Decker

Member III
whales

Hi - We went out last weekend and must have seen a dozen whales up close - Two of them leaped clear of the water but they were a long way off - I heard the whales follow the 100-fathom line but my depthsounder is on the fritz so I can't verify that - It was a glorious day, though, - We had the 150 up but in the light air we kept our distance and just paced the whales moving south - what a thrill -

NGB

Member II
We sailed on Friday but stayed in the Bay. It was the best sailing in the Bay that we have had since getting our boat 14 months ago. The winds were relatively calm down to the bridge (we were only going 1 1/2 knots), but coming back at 1 PM there were small white caps, and we soared along at a rousing 4 1/2 knots. A good time was had by all -- but no whales, unless you count a couple of big gray ones with sailors onboard.